Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Rechargeable battery question

On 4/16/2018 3:01 AM, mike wrote:
On 4/16/2018 12:54 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

What do you like for a small spot welder? I've been thinking of getting
one.

Forgot to mention that rebuilding battery packs rarely works these days.
Back in the NiCD days, there was a chance.
With Lithiums, not so much.

IF you remove the battery, the protection chip goes into disabled mode.
Even if the cells are good, the laptop won't work.
I only succeeded on ONE Lithium battery pack because it used a PIC
processor and I was lucky that resetting the PIC restored control.

I haven't tried, but I expect the same applies for Lithium cordless tools
and most everything else.

That's not a problem for this thread, but might influence your
motivation for building a welder.