Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Any Reason Not To Use A Rockler Cross Cut Sled?

On 4/15/2018 10:57 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/15/18 8:19 AM, Jack wrote:
On 4/14/2018 3:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/13/18 7:59 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/13/2018 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You'll notice I didn't say "buy", I said "use".

I'll start by saying that I don't need another cross cut sled.
I've made 2 of my own, a large one and a small one. They work
perfectly fine.

The only thing I'm curious about is whether or not there is
anything inherently wrong with the Rockler Cross Cut sled. Yes,
it cost $150. Yes, the drop-off platform is another $38. Yes,
it is constructed of materials known to be harmful to residents
of Califormia. But you don't have to pay for it and you don't
live in CA. (Well, most of you don't.)

If someone *gave* you a Rockler Cross Cut sled and drop-off
table, is there a specific reason (or reasons) that you would
forgo it's use and continue using your home made sled, other
than the emotional attachment to your good ole sled?

www.rockler.com/tablesaw-crosscut-sled

Well, it is a copy of the Dubby.Â* If you are going to get it for
free, jump on it.Â* If you were going to buy you should consider
the Dubby. It is larger and you can buy for either side get both.
Mine are almost 20 years old.Â* Very accurate.

http://www.in-lineindustries.com/pro...able-saw-sled/

I guess I should show mine, again.Â*Â* :-) https://youtu.be/DPg5xdeyCQk

Very nice Mike.Â* I have a bunch of 4x8' 3/4" ceder plywood painted
white from an above ground pool I destructed and made a couple of
sliding tables from it, looks just like the stuff you used, and
wonder if that's where you got your painted plywood?

The sheet I used is actually regular old melamine covered particle board.
I use the stuff for temporary project tables because it's cheap, flat,
bright, and glue doesn't stick to it.Â* I had just finished a bookcase
job and had the sheets from the tables, so I used them for the sled and
my outfeed table.
https://youtu.be/LRgwJzlFrOE

Just a note here Mike. Glue Does stick to Melamine, if you are careful
you can get it off. My old Jet cabinet saw had the same material for
the right extension table, AKA my glue up station. There were chunks of
Melamine missing where glue would drip and a scrap piece of wood would
be placed. ;~) If the glue simply dried/cured on the surface I used a
cabinet scraper to remove the blob.

Anyhow, that is a nice sled, but pretty sure it won't work as you
actually made it yourself instead of spending a huge wad of cash like
Â*some in this group seem to require in order to cut a straight line.
Something about the more you spend, the straighter the line, or 'I
buy it because I can'. I like the 'I build it because I can' stuff.
You can, and did.Â* Excellent.

Thanks, Jack.Â* For me it all depends on whether I have more time than
money or more money than time.Â* Sometimes, I'll pay to buy a jig or
device I need to finish a paid project.Â* But most times, I do like the
satisfaction of building them myself.

True! It often makes sense to build a jig as it can be so unique that
you can not buy one. And then there are times when time is money and
getting the job done on time out weighs the cost of the jig.

I think for people new to woodworking, building jigs is an excellent way
to learn and practice many different skills and techniques.

+1