Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Hill[_4_] Peter Hill[_4_] is offline

Default Recommendations for a SELF PRIMING (not a submersible!) cellarpump.

On 09-Apr-18 7:13 PM, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sunday afternoon, when looking in our basement for some (250mL)
15W-40 engine oil to prep up a 1K2W inverter genset I'd bought from our
local Lidl for 99 quid a couple of hours earlier, I discovered the coal
hole section had become somewhat flooded and threatening to flood the
main part of the basement.

snip

Since I've reached the end of my tether in 'googling' a solution (source
of a suitable self priming sump pump), I thought I'd prevail upon the
potential source of collective wisdom and experience of this group for
advice.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/051012200/
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/051011800/

This one needs initial priming but with a one way "foot valve" to stop
it draining back it doesn't need further priming. Problem is if water is
dirty it can be trapped in foot valve and allow the suction pipe to
drain. Also dirty water may wear the plastic impeller. So the foot valve
also needs a filter.
https://www.anchorpumps.com/stuart-t...ster-pump-240v

Centrifugal pump can not be "self priming". It needs a piston/diaphragm
or helical. Piston/diaphragm pumps will have simple one way delivery
valves and can't pump dirty water.

Proper dirty water self priming is not cheap.
https://www.anglianpumping.com/produ...AjJQEALw_ wcB