Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suprima - unusual (to me) fault

On Saturday, 14 April 2018 00:18:12 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rory wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 4:44:03 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
That suggests a dry joint somewhere - or a broken track which makes
when flexed.

My first approach would be to remove the board and re-flow all the
joints.

Thanks, yes, I did have a go at the board years ago but these Suprima
boards are very delicate and from reading of others experiences it's
common to lift pads and even tracks.

That would happen with careless replacement of components - not re-flowing
existing joints.

So I wanted to not molest this board further and keep it a known 'good'
board.

The one I got from CET that didn't work in my boiler was pretty heavily
reworked, with quite a lot of links and bridges.

Sounds like it had a short somewhere that wasn't protected by a fuse.

If they really do save pennies by using an ultra lightweight material for
the PCB and tracks, would be a make to avoid.

I think all boilers are makes to avoid bar Vaillant & WB, simply on grounds of reliability.

NT