Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is two + two?

On Friday, 13 April 2018 09:50:29 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 12/04/18 22:51, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , bert wrote:

In article 20180411225333.1c2bfa57@Mars, Rob Morley
writes
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 09:50:04 +0100
ARW wrote:

Four?

Nope it is 4.

Just had to prove that I was a human to send off a submission on a
website and that was their question and answer.

Anyone else agree that the answer is four and not 4?

If those are strings rather than numbers then + is the concatenation
operator and the result is twotwo

That too.

Not in PHP where the concatenation operator is a .

What about javascript?

That is the worst of the lot as I discovered...

2+2 = 4 if and only if they are *interpreted as numbers*.

2+2 could in fact be 22...

That will confuse T i m he always thinks it must be 4 whenever 2+2 it must mean 2+2= as does two plus two.
When I see 2+2 in a car magazine they are usually refering to how the passengers are arranged in the vehicle, and 4x4 doesn't mean 16
But some have very simple minds I guess it;s difficult for them to think beyond their limited experince.