Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMC A series thermostat etc

In article ,
Huge wrote:
On 2018-04-13, Graeme wrote:

[11 lines snipped]

Just been talking to my brother, and telling him how my son is amazed
that, when doing stuff on the Morris, I can find almost any tool I need
in the shed. Will my lifetime's collection of tools ever be used after
my demise, or will they become landfill? We just don't see kids today
fixing old bangers in the way most of us did 40-50 years ago. Then
again, I open the bonnet of a modern car and quickly close it again.

I picked up my "new" (5 y/o) car, yesterday. I can't even see where the
spark plugs are, never mind get at them. (*) I do wish the manufacturers
would stop deleting dip-sticks, though. Not only is there no dipstick,
but I have to go through a stupid dance to check the oil level (warm
engine, stop engine, wait 10 minutes, access "oil level" function in
electronic dashboard.

(* And why should I pay £95/hr for someone to remove and replace all
those plastic covers over the engine? What are they even for?)

Thing is you may never need to access those plugs. Many have a 100,000
mile life. Covers to stop dirt, damage, etc may be no bad thing.
An electronic 'dipstick' can also give a warning if the oil level is low.
Many people simply ain't capable of using a dipstick and wouldn't know
where to find it anyway. Or add oil themselves.

-

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.