Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMC A series thermostat etc

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Graeme wrote:

Hey ho. New parts in the post. Trouble with older cars - you disturb
something, and bits start failing.

Do wonder about previous maintenance, though. Generally the thermostat
will need replacing often enough to keep the housing free. And did it
always use a good quality anti-freeze to prevent internal corrosion?
Likely not since at one time anti-freeze caused corrosion. ;-)

Dave, I have owned the car since November 1996 and yes, it has always
received good quality anti freeze since then, although I don't know the
condition of the parts when I bought it. It has received general
maintenance and servicing since then, but no major overhauls. Only done
7k miles in the last 22 years, and was garaged and unused from 98 until
about ten years ago. Since then, just a few miles a year.

Sounds lovely. ;-)

I do remember my days of A series engines, and many of the 'aluminium'
looking parts in the water jacket would have pretty severe signs of
corrosion. Like the internals of the water pump. Later anti-freeze (really
made for all ally engines) tended to be pretty good at preventing
corrosion on most materials in use. Until plastic came along with its own
problems. ;-)

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.