Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley Rob Morley is offline

Default BMC A Series - remove thermostat housing

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 15:32:14 +0100
Graeme wrote:

Any tips for removing a housing that has been in place for many (25+)
years? This particular engine is in a 68 Traveller, and the stub for
attaching the top hose has disintegrated, which does not help the
water circulation or cooling.

The only one I've had to brute-force I managed to loosen the housing by
tapping it from side to side with a block of wood and a big hammer. I'd
already broken one of the studs and had to drill it out, they were all
badly corroded. I probably still have some spare studs kicking around,
ISTR I bought a pack of ten.