Posted to uk.d-i-y
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp[_4_] is offline

Default LED lighting Residual output

Hi,
I recently put a few flat panel LED arrays in a shed and garage.
The same units that I used in the house on a few low ceilings. Flat
LED panels around 12 to 48W.

The shed units were on even when the switches were off, not too
bright, but initially I thought that the manufacturer had used a
phosphorescent chemical in the array.

Turning the CU off demonstrated the flaw in this reasoning.

The direct lights are a minor irritation, but the two exterior
floodlights are a pain in the neck as they are fed via a switch with a
2 wire timer across it, for a delayed escape.

I believe the capacitive coupling is causing the internal lights to
"glow" and this is tolerable, but the external units are obviously
being powered via the residual off current of the two wire time
switch.

I thought an incandescent 100W light across these to light an
additional "black hole" might provide a "sink" for the current, but
despite having cut the "off" luminocity down considerably, the
Floodlights are still too bright.

I have some 240V relays on order, but does anyone know of a neater,
quicker fix?

Currently I have two 50W LED lamps and a 100W incandescent all in
parallel, fed by a single pole switch with a two wire timer across the
contacts.

The relay will be easy to fit electrically, but will need an
additional JB, or similar for mounting, and it will be a pain sticking
this on the side of the shed door.

Regards

AB