Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BMC A Series - remove thermostat housing

On Monday, 9 April 2018 16:14:43 UTC+1, NY wrote:

I have sympathy for your son. One of the first times I went out driving with
my dad (on L plates) the throttle cable on my mum's car jammed fully open as
I was going up a steep hill. First noticed when the car shot forwards as I
changed up into third and then fourth. I did the right thing: brake in gear
and very gently turn off ignition in case it enabled steering lock (*); I
resisted the temptation to press the clutch which would have removed any
mechanical load and engine would probably have overspeeded and damaged
itself (eg excessive load on conn rods or crankshaft)..

Good luck in fixing the problem.

(*) Apparently this doesn't happen until you remove the key, but I wasn't to
know.

just be aware that's not the case for a lot of cars.

NT