Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default BMC A Series - remove thermostat housing

In message , Huge
writes
On 2018-04-09, Graeme wrote:

Any tips for removing a housing that has been in place for many (25+)
years?

Violence. Then buy a new one.

New one on order, but I can't shift the old one. May have to go from
violence to extreme violence.

Feeling sorry for Son, who is 17 today, and for years has wanted to drive
the Morris. Took him out and he did well for a first time, but had to
stop due to clouds of steam.

I have sympathy for your son. One of the first times I went out driving with
my dad (on L plates) the throttle cable on my mum's car jammed fully open as
I was going up a steep hill. First noticed when the car shot forwards as I
changed up into third and then fourth. I did the right thing: brake in gear
and very gently turn off ignition in case it enabled steering lock (*); I
resisted the temptation to press the clutch which would have removed any
mechanical load and engine would probably have overspeeded and damaged
itself (eg excessive load on conn rods or crankshaft)..

Good luck in fixing the problem.

(*) Apparently this doesn't happen until you remove the key, but I wasn't to
know.