Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sigh....propelling pencil for marking up? Which size lead?

On Saturday, 7 April 2018 13:15:48 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 09:56:32 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message

An ordinary pencil with the same tip shape has a stronger 'lead' as wood is stronger
than graphite.

You can't get ordinary pencils with the same tip shape as a carpenter's pencil.
That's the whole point(NPI). Next off, you'll be claiming you can get pencils
with the same tip shape as a tailor's chalk. (Triangular pieces of chalk with
three sharp edges)

The lead in a carpenters pencil is oblong like the shaft of a miniature chisel,
and as with chisels and tailors chalks its sharpened to an edge, not a point.

How you keep the edge sharp is another matter. Possibly as with chisels
you can create two angles. A shallow "grinding" angle created when you pare
away the wood and a more acute "honing" angle which is topped up by regularly
rubbing the two sides on a stone as you go.

As with tailors chalks drawing lines with a chisel edge rather than with a point
presumably has advantages which aren't immediately obvious. In the case
of the former, it can't be wear as you'd imagine they'd wear out quicker.

Maybe both were in regular use before pencil sharpeners became
widely available and haven't been bettered.

michael adams

Wake up. You trim the tip of the pencil the same way as you would a carpenter's pencil.
the result is a chisel tip, it's just rather narrower so wears faster.

When you've finally worked out why carpenters pencils are the shape they are -
as opposed to your ludicrous suggestion that its simply a way of charging more
for them - then I might have been willing to take the odd statement you posted
a bit more seriously.

The important word there being "might".

However as I've already provided you with the real answer in another post, that offer
no longer applies.

yawn.

And that's not forgetting that only the other day you made the categorical statement
that there had never been any such thing as Windows 286.

http://oldcomputermuseum.com/os/windows_286_v2.10.html

I suppose you thought that by now that would all be forgotten; and it was safe
to crawl out from under your stone, yet again

michael adams

With respect windows in any form was not a workable option on an 8086 or 286. Everyone knew multitasking was a nice idea in principle, but Win was around for years before it actually became usable. The hardware was just too slow for a long time for _practical_ multitasking, and the very early versions of windows were bad to put it very mildly. Windows 3.0 was when people started saying hey, this is actually realistically usable, we like it.

NT