Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Sigh....propelling pencil for marking up? Which size lead?

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 17:15:09 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 06/04/2018 16:45, David wrote:
Just tried to sharpen a builder's pencil and the two wood halves came
apart.

Pencil sharpener for normal pencils is blunt.

I am now considering a propelling pencil with a thick lead for use in
marking up work.

Anyone else doing this?

If so, which lead thickness?

Cheers

Dave R

There are several styles, here is a 2 mm one where you use an external
sharpener to create a point

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faber-Caste...tch-Pencil/dp/

B0007OECAS

I quite like the Pentel 0.9 mm which I use with 2B leads for marking up
draft reports and writing on engineering drawings, this is OK for
"delicate" woodwork but not suitable for studwork, etc.

Thanks.

So larger than 0.9 mm.

Some "Art" pencils go up to 5 mm which seems a bit large.

I'm just considering this as an option.

I'm also lusting after a spiral pencil sharpener that I remember from
school yeah these many moons ago. A quick twiz and the pencil was pointy
again.

So good and fun that we had to be threatened to stop us endlessly
sharpening pencils and watching them being eaten by the machine. :-)

One issue with a pencil sharpener would be finding one that would fit the
oval carpenters pencils.

Which brings us back to propelling pencils. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---