Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default Ham Radio license

In article ,
wrote:
"for businesses this is an

Employer Identification Number." "

Hmm, he could hire himself. Maybe, I would have to look into it but quite honestly I had had enough legal in my life plus I have
a pro se case coming up. That is plenty.

However that is information that you can ask a lawyer. It would not put him in jeopardy to tell. Main thing is, can a business
get an FCC license ? Most likely.

Businesses can get certain types of FCC licenses.

As I understand it, no business can get a ham license, because the use
of amateur radio for commercial purposes is forbidden. You have to be
an individual person, who can (in person) take and pass the test(s)
required for whatever amateur radio license grade you're going for.

There is such a thing as an amateur club-station license, but each
club requires at least four members, officers, and there has to be an
individually-licensed ham who acts as "trustee" for the station and
takes legal responsibility for its operation. If you don't have your
own ham license, you can only use a club station if there's a licensed
ham present to act as a "control operator", taking responsibility for
proper operation and (if necessary) "taking the keys away from you" if
you do it wrong.

[And, tangentially... I haven't yet heard of a case in which the
"Sovereign citizen" arguments have actually won out in court. If a
"sovereign citizen" refuses to pay taxes, or commits a Federal crime
and is charged for it, and uses the "sovereign citizen" arguments as
a defense... quite consistently, they lose... the courts reject these
arguments as "frivolous" or "made up".

Granted, quite a few people seem to be "flying under the radar",
e.g. failing to file/pay Federal income taxes on the grounds of being
"sovereign citizens" or "state citizens". Some get away with this
for years. However, if/when audited or charged, they don't do well
in court.

It's not an approach I recommend. You're free to dislike the Federal
government all you like, but _ignoring_ it isn't wise, especially if
you're doing so on the basis of legal arguments that the IRS and
courts have been consistently rejecting for decades, based on legal
precedents which reach back all the way to The Federalist Papers.]