Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Gas leak detected and fixed, should I make efforts to clear gas out?

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus
On 03/04/2018 13:25, Scott wrote:

Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

That's a good question but the answer isn't simple.
Mobiles transmit even when they re not being used so it isn't because
they are transmitters or you would have to turn them off before you got
to the petrol station for them to be safe.

Some years ago we tried to upset a petrol pump and then tried to ignite
some petrol fumes around the tank filling hole on a scrap car.

No mobile phone did effect either, the only way we got a "light" was
with a 25 watt PMR radio with a mag base with the aerial tip arcing
across to the metal work of the car body on the filler hole!.
--
Tony Sayer