Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas leak detected and fixed, should I make efforts to clear gas out?

I have just detected a (small) gas leak on my boat using the Alde
bubble leak detecter I installed a while ago. I have fixed the leak,
just a compression fitting on a tap needed a tweak.

It was a very small leak, just a bubble a second or so or even a bit
less. It's LPG (propane) though and is thus heavier than air and will
sink into the bilge. The leak has been there for a few days (probably
three or four days) since the gas was turned on, I only just got some
propylene glycol to replenish the bubble detector. Presumably the gas
will eventually diffuse but should I do something to clear any gas
that may still be sitting down there and, if so, what?

The boat has a diesel engine (sitting immediately above the bilges)
which sucks air in from the outside and (presumably) blows it out of
the exhaust. The engine was running for several hours yesterday and
Saturday so that would, I guess, have cleared things a bit. So the
accumulation is probably only over the last 24 hours since yesterday.

My feeling is to let sleeping dogs lie and leave it to diffuse,
there's no source of combustion down there anyway.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 12:13:32 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I would suggest maximum ventilation. Surely you should not be running
a diesel engine in the vicinty of a suspected gas leak?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:31:59 PM UTC+1, Scott wrote:
[...]

You need to clear it out as it will have gathered in the bilges. Get a small bucket and scoop up the air gas mixture and throw it over the side. You might think you look stupid doing it but not half as stupid if a spark sets it off
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:51:04 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

A further point. Do you not have a bilge fan ? These are spark proof so safe to use. As a precaution we always run the bilge fan for a minute or so before starting the engine. Better safe than sorry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green expressed precisely :
The boat has a diesel engine (sitting immediately above the bilges)
which sucks air in from the outside and (presumably) blows it out of
the exhaust. The engine was running for several hours yesterday and
Saturday so that would, I guess, have cleared things a bit. So the
accumulation is probably only over the last 24 hours since yesterday.

If I were worried, I would be inclined to rig up a fan to blow air into
the lower reaches of the boat to forcefully stir it up and out. It
would be wrong to put the fan in the bilge, where it might ignite the
collected gas.

More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner hose, which
you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except for the fact
that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor. LPG leaks in boats
are a deadly combination, due to it being heavier than air.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:59:38 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

[...]

Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

Er, isn't LPG prohibited on boats for the very reason you state ?

Not banned, testing is part of the BSS ("boat mot")

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-7-lpg-installations/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It's something I've had in mind for a while but I don't have one yet.
It is only a small boat (10 metres or so), not the sort of boat where
bilge fans are standard.

Thanks for the other ideas folks, I'll be scooping out soon! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green expressed precisely :
The boat has a diesel engine (sitting immediately above the bilges)
which sucks air in from the outside and (presumably) blows it out of
the exhaust. The engine was running for several hours yesterday and
Saturday so that would, I guess, have cleared things a bit. So the
accumulation is probably only over the last 24 hours since yesterday.

If I were worried, I would be inclined to rig up a fan to blow air into
the lower reaches of the boat to forcefully stir it up and out. It
would be wrong to put the fan in the bilge, where it might ignite the
collected gas.

Yes, I though blowing down the engine's air intake ventilators might
be the way to go.

More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner hose, which
you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except for the fact
that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor. LPG leaks in boats
are a deadly combination, due to it being heavier than air.

Exactly! That's why doing nothing for a while before doing anything
rash seemed a good idea to me.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there
has never been a recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but
plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner
hose, which you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except
for the fact that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor.' In
other words, not something to try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk has brought this to us :
Er, isn't LPG prohibited on boats for the very reason you state ?

Not prohibited, no..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 14:15:52 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there
has never been a recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but
plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner
hose, which you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except
for the fact that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor.' In
other words, not something to try.

You have added the owrds 'not something to try' later. This was not
clear from your original post. You obviously don't take safety
warnings very seriously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:30:59 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Thanks for the other ideas folks, I'll be scooping out soon! :-)

I'd like to encourage you to do that, but April 1st is over...

If you can't smell the gas, don't worry.

The odorants are added in concentrations so that gas becomes noticeable well
before dangerous concentrations are reached.

Otherwise: remove all you clothes so as to avoid any chance of static buildup
and sparks. Take two fans, dance on the deck of the boat, while fanning air into
the bilge of the boat. Extra points for singing!

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 13:25, Scott wrote:

Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

That's a good question but the answer isn't simple.
Mobiles transmit even when they re not being used so it isn't because
they are transmitters or you would have to turn them off before you got
to the petrol station for them to be safe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 14:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not?* Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak.* Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there
has never been a recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but
plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner
hose, which you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except
for the fact that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor.' In
other words, not something to try.

If the OP has a compressor then using the air directed up the vacuum
hose would remove the vapour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 14:57, dennis@home wrote:
On 03/04/2018 13:25, Scott wrote:

Surely not?Â* Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak.Â* Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

That's a good question but the answer isn't simple.
Mobiles transmit even when they re not being used so it isn't because
they are transmitters or you would have to turn them off before you got
to the petrol station for them to be safe.

.....and in some cases mobile phone base stations are situated inside
the illuminated forecourt signage. I drove past a filling station last
week, that had three mobile masts all within the perimeter of the
premises.

--
Mark
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home formulated on Tuesday :
If the OP has a compressor then using the air directed up the vacuum hose
would remove the vapour.

Good solution, using a vortex effect and no risk involved!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home presented the following explanation :
That's a good question but the answer isn't simple.
Mobiles transmit even when they re not being used so it isn't because they
are transmitters or you would have to turn them off before you got to the
petrol station for them to be safe.

Is the correct answer. The rule is mainly about being distracted by the
actual use of a phone, whilst handling fuel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 14:51, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 13:30:59 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Thanks for the other ideas folks, I'll be scooping out soon! :-)

I'd like to encourage you to do that, but April 1st is over...

If you can't smell the gas, don't worry.

The odorants are added in concentrations so that gas becomes noticeable well
before dangerous concentrations are reached.

Otherwise: remove all you clothes so as to avoid any chance of static buildup
and sparks. Take two fans, dance on the deck of the boat, while fanning air into
the bilge of the boat. Extra points for singing!

Thomas Prufer

I'd have thought (given the point about odour and concentration) that
you would be OK running a vacuum cleaner outside on the deck with a hose
dropped down into the bilges. I suppose a Dyson cordless would be ideal
as presumably they have brushless motors (although they could be
generating static).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 13:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Jethro_uk wrote:

Er, isn't LPG prohibited on boats for the very reason you state ?

Not banned, testing is part of the BSS ("boat mot")

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/non-private-boats/part-7-lpg-installations/

Various LPG gas detectors available for around £40

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Scott
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 14:15:52 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there has never been a
recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner hose, which you
could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except for the fact that the gas would
then pass through the vacs motor.' In other words, not something to try.

You have added the owrds 'not something to try' later. This was not
clear from your original post. You obviously don't take safety
warnings very seriously.

OTOH, he did say any gas would be passing through the vacuum's motor.
This is (or should be) an ng for those with a bit of a clue about what
happens in electric motors (in this case, sparks), not for attendees of
the Cheltenham Ladies College.

--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.

Such as changing the Windows clock in response to changes for British Summer Time ?

A feature not included in Macs by the looks of things.

michael adams

In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."
- Paul Tomblin, ASR

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 12:59:42 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner hose, which
you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except for the fact
that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor. LPG leaks in boats
are a deadly combination, due to it being heavier than air.

I think my Karcher (and some other tub vacuums) have separate openings for motor intake and exhaust cooling fan, and vacuum suction exhaust air.

Not sure I'd risk it though.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 14:51:03 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 14:15:52 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there
has never been a recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but
plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner
hose, which you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except
for the fact that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor.' In
other words, not something to try.

You have added the owrds 'not something to try' later. This was not
clear from your original post. You obviously don't take safety
warnings very seriously.

google cinnamon MSDS.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 13:20, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:13:32 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

Not as far as I know. And what else would you use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/18 14:15, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 03/04/2018, Scott supposed :
Surely not?* Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak.* Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

They are mostly banned because they distract the pump operator, there
has never been a recorded incident of a phone causing ignition, but
plenty of myths.

I did say 'More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner
hose, which you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except
for the fact that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor.' In
other words, not something to try.

And ironically BP now have a "pay at pump" phone app

I did jest with the bloke (well try, this particular garage does not
employ people with a sense of humour) about "using a phone next to the
pump".

He said "you can do it from inside the car..."

As if.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 20:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 03/04/18 13:20, Jethro_uk wrote:

Er, isn't LPG prohibited on boats for the very reason you state ?

Not as far as I know. And what else would you use?

Petrol obviously

A lot of boats have diesel heaters, but more seriously there's nothing
else on board as good for cooking. A Primus is a PITA.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris submitted this idea :
A lot of boats have diesel heaters, but more seriously there's nothing else
on board as good for cooking. A Primus is a PITA.

And/ or waste heat from the engine, for space heating on the move - as
we found with one boat we hired, in winter. It was its only means of
heating and the nights on the water can be very cold in the winter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus
On 03/04/2018 13:25, Scott wrote:

Surely not? Electrical equipment in the vicinity of a gas leak. Why
do you think mobile phones are banned at petrol pumps?

That's a good question but the answer isn't simple.
Mobiles transmit even when they re not being used so it isn't because
they are transmitters or you would have to turn them off before you got
to the petrol station for them to be safe.

Some years ago we tried to upset a petrol pump and then tried to ignite
some petrol fumes around the tank filling hole on a scrap car.

No mobile phone did effect either, the only way we got a "light" was
with a 25 watt PMR radio with a mag base with the aerial tip arcing
across to the metal work of the car body on the filler hole!.
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Static? remember this is what blew up the boat Fanny Craddock was on. It is
probably OK, but is it worth the risk?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2018 20:16, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

I did point out at a local Shell garage that the pay by phone sign is
right beside the do not use mobile phones sign. The cashier wasn't
interested.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
[...]

No, there are very specific and well defined rules for installing and
using it in small boats in the Boat Safety Scheme.

Mostly the rules are very similar to those for using it on caravans
and camper vans (where it is very widely ised too). However there are
few differences, in particular you can't guarantee gas 'drainage' on a
boat like you can in a land vehicle.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green expressed precisely :
However there are
few differences, in particular you can't guarantee gas 'drainage' on a
boat like you can in a land vehicle.

What, no 'gas drop holes' in the bottom?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green expressed precisely :
However there are
few differences, in particular you can't guarantee gas 'drainage' on a
boat like you can in a land vehicle.

What, no 'gas drop holes' in the bottom?

Strangely enough, no! :-)

--
Chris Green
·