Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Green Chris Green is offline

Default Gas leak detected and fixed, should I make efforts to clear gas out?

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Chris Green expressed precisely :
The boat has a diesel engine (sitting immediately above the bilges)
which sucks air in from the outside and (presumably) blows it out of
the exhaust. The engine was running for several hours yesterday and
Saturday so that would, I guess, have cleared things a bit. So the
accumulation is probably only over the last 24 hours since yesterday.

If I were worried, I would be inclined to rig up a fan to blow air into
the lower reaches of the boat to forcefully stir it up and out. It
would be wrong to put the fan in the bilge, where it might ignite the
collected gas.

Yes, I though blowing down the engine's air intake ventilators might
be the way to go.

More effective, would be something like a vacuum cleaner hose, which
you could drop to the bottom and suck the gas out - except for the fact
that the gas would then pass through the vacs motor. LPG leaks in boats
are a deadly combination, due to it being heavier than air.

Exactly! That's why doing nothing for a while before doing anything
rash seemed a good idea to me.

--
Chris Green
ยท