Posted to uk.d-i-y
mechanic mechanic is offline

Default DIY Alarms/PIRs/Cats

On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 10:05:41 +0100, wrote:

On 02/04/2018 06:19, Brian Reay wrote:

I was discussing fitting a burglar alarm with my son-in-law and
the problem of their cat occurred to me.

While they could confine the cat to a room not covered by a PIR,
the layout of their house would make this far from ideal in a
number of ways.

I can't believe I'm the first person to think about this
problem- what to the millions of people with cats/dogs do?

(Obviously not using PIRs is an option but the idea of wires etc
to window / door sensors really isn't practical. A few PIRs will
'cover' the required rooms and I think there are routes for
wiring, if we can't find a wireless solution.)

A few months ago I asked about using PIRs with purrs (sorry, I
couldn't resist) and was told that the "pet proof" ones were not
very effective. I haven't got the right tuit yet so can't report
on my experiences.

Maybe the cat could be supplied with a IFF transponder embedded in
its collar.