Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Gas consumption, CH versus no CH

On 01/04/2018 16:38, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARW expressed precisely :
What were you expecting the gas costs to be? A serious question, I am
not taking the ****.

I a few years ago out of curiosity - asked how inefficient the usual gas
radiant type room heaters were, compared to running the central heating.
The suggestion was, that they were very inefficient, but no actual
figures given as to just how inefficient. Heating the one room by that
means, versus heating the whole house. Someone had raised the question
before me, in their attempts to save money. I was more interested in
maybe using the heater to supplement the central heating. The heater had
never been used, apart from to check it, since it was installed.

To answer your question - I was expecting such an heater to be much more
efficient/ less costly to run than it has proven. I expected the bill to
be 1/3rd of the cost of running the central heating. I appreciate that
a lot of the heat produced, goes straight up the flue.

Lots of (especially older) gas fires are under 65% efficient IIRC.
(worse still for some "living flame" ones).

More modern balanced flue ones and "high efficiency" ones can better
than 80% though. The flueless (i.e. catalytic) ones can be close to 100%
some manufacturers claim.

--
Cheers,

John.