Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 09:09:50 -0400, Jack wrote:

On 3/30/2018 11:06 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/30/2018 8:41 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/25/2018 3:39 AM, Perry wrote:
On 24-Mar-18 10:21 PM, Brewster wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it
under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

Generally the best tool for sanding a 6" piece like this would be a
belt sander. The fence holds the work piece from flying off and a heck
of a lot cheaper than a drum sander.

Something like this:
https://tinyurl.com/y8od5rkm

And then you need a planer to make the surfaces parallel again.

In 40+ years of using a sander like this I never once had to run
anything thru the planer after sanding. Either I have magic hands, or
you have lead hands, or you are sanding something for brain surgery.

In junior high school wood shop we were required to square a block
with a hand plane before we could move on. No fancy machines needed,
they just make it quicker and easier. Doesn't really help with epoxy
though.

Regardless of any of this, for a 6x1x2 block, your typical benchtop
planer won't work--it won't feed something that small. Proxxon's
might if you can find one. However I'd want to see how it handled
epoxy and what the finish looked like before I spent for one--they
aren't cheap.

For a piece that small I think a drum sander of the kind shown is
overkill. If it's onesey-twosey then cleaning it up with a benchtop
belt sander should work fine. If it's mass production I'd look into
injection molding, where the shape of the piece is completely defined
by the mold and all that has to be cleaned up is a tiny bit of sprue
that if properly placed could be sheared.