Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding drum
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 7:06:49 AM UTC-4, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding drum
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

Can you make a jig with slope sides to match so that you *can* hold it a vice?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Perry" wrote in message
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1 inch
tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of finish
might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

Yes, a drum sander could do the job assuming your piece has the minimum
length necessary - as specified by the manufacturer - to keep the pressure
rollers properly in contact. It won't get kicked around but don't try to
skinny it down in one pass. The finish depends upon the grit of the
abrasive used.

Drum sanders are very handy and useful but it would be an expensive way to
accomplish your goal. Any reason you couldn't glue a piece of paper to the
bottom with water soulble glue, glue that to a piece of ply then mill it
with your milling machine. When done, soak the casting free of the paper and
carrier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Perry wrote in
:

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-...g-machines-and
-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4
080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding
drum \ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

A relatively inexpensive way to find out would be to buy a sanding drum
kit for a drill press. For a test part or two, you can hold it carefully
by hand or clamp the base to a piece of angle aluminum.

I'm not sure how well the thickness sander will hold your part. If you
had a sled of some sort, where the pieces are held in a slot on a board,
you might be able to make it work.

If you do need to find a better way to hold the work, let me toss out a
couple ideas: Build a box around the part and cover the box and part with
thin plastic like from a baggie. Fill the space with expanding foam.
Now you've got custom vise jaws that'll probably hold good enough. (If
you've got small parts that jut out, cover them before you put the
plastic on.)

Another option is to drill and tap for screws on the bottom or drop a
couple screws in before pouring the epoxy. I don't have any experience
with molding screws in place, I just know it's possible. Now you've got
a way to mount the part to a solid base plate for machining.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

Can you grip it securely with you hands?
If so you could stick sandpaper to a flat work surface, then flip it
over and run the top over the sandpaper. Two or three sheets of paper
or a long strip from a roll would be best.

Just keep even pressure on the piece to keep it flat against the
sandpaper.
Make some practice strokes against a smooth work top.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 3/19/18 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

Can you grip it securely with you hands?
If so you could stick sandpaper to a flat work surface, then flip it
over and run the top over the sandpaper. Two or three sheets of paper
or a long strip from a roll would be best.

I'd be tempted to make a fitted Sabot to hold it in a vise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2018 8:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Or build a vacum table and hold it in place while milling. With edge
clamps, stops

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2018 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* sanding drum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â* Â* /
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Direction of feed ==Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* 1" tall
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 6" long

Thanks guys.

So I actually have a drum sander similar to what you are referencing.

How does this particular Epoxy sand normally?

It is easy to heat the sand paper up on these type sanders if you try to
take off too much. There is no give under the paper like most sander
have so it can be unforgiving if you try to take off too much.

When simply sanding hard woods I typically take off about 1/48" per
pass. Once the paper is heated up and clogged it is toast in that spot.

AND it is best to feed the material at an angle so that the sandpaper
can cool. You can feed straight to control the scratch pattern on the
last and very light pass or two.

As far as smoothness of finish, that would depend on the grit paper you
are using.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 11:09:12 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 3/19/18 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

Can you grip it securely with you hands?
If so you could stick sandpaper to a flat work surface, then flip it
over and run the top over the sandpaper. Two or three sheets of paper
or a long strip from a roll would be best.

I'd be tempted to make a fitted Sabot to hold it in a vise.

Is a "fitted Sabot" a fancy way of saying "a jig with slope sides"? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19-Mar-18 7:16 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 7:06:49 AM UTC-4, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding drum
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

Can you make a jig with slope sides to match so that you *can* hold it a vice?

I had thought about modifying a mold by machining 5 or 10mm off the top
face. The sides are too sloped for clamping but just sitting in a mold
makes it quite a bit more stable. I'd thought of perhaps trying to make
a vacuum fixture out of the mold.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19-Mar-18 8:20 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"Perry" wrote in message
[...]

I should have stated that this is an ongoing job rather than a one off,
otherwise your ideas sound like they'd work well.

I'll see if I can get the manual for the drum sander and see what its
specs are.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Perry" wrote in message
[...]

rollers properly in contact.Â* It won't get kicked around but don't try to
skinny it down in one pass.Â* The finish depends upon the grit of the
abrasive used.

Drum sanders are very handy and useful but it would be an expensive
way to
accomplish your goal.Â* Any reason you couldn't glue a piece of paper
to the
bottom with water soulble glue, glue that to a piece of ply then mill it
with your milling machine. When done, soak the casting free of the
paper and
carrier.

Or build a vacum table and hold it in place while milling. With edge
clamps, stops

Yeah, that was my first idea - machine down the top of a mold and use it
as a vacuum 'vise'.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 19-Mar-18 8:36 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Perry wrote in
:

I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the
top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under
a milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-...g-machines-and
-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4
080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding
drum \ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

[...]

Thanks some good ideas to mull over.

I will look at sanding drum kits for drill presses - I had not heard of
them before.

I had also thought of making a sled on a slide system up and using it to
pass the part by a bobbin sander.
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- writes:
On 3/19/18 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

Can you grip it securely with you hands?
If so you could stick sandpaper to a flat work surface, then flip it
over and run the top over the sandpaper. Two or three sheets of paper
or a long strip from a roll would be best.

I'd be tempted to make a fitted Sabot to hold it in a vise.

Is a "fitted Sabot" a fancy way of saying "a jig with slope sides"? ;-)

I could use one of the molds to fashion something like this. The sloped
sides complicate things. I'm thinking a vacuum pump and some slots in
the bottom of the mold might work.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20-Mar-18 4:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2018 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under
a milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* sanding drum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â* Â* /
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Direction of feed ==Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* 1" tall
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 6" long

Thanks guys.

So I actually have a drum sander similar to what you are referencing.

How does this particular Epoxy sand normally?

It is easy to heat the sand paper up on these type sanders if you try to
take off too much.Â* There is no give under the paper like most sander
have so it can be unforgiving if you try to take off too much.

When simply sanding hard woods I typically take off about 1/48" per
pass.Â* Once the paper is heated up and clogged it is toast in that spot.

AND it is best to feed the material at an angle so that the sandpaper
can cool.Â* You can feed straight to control the scratch pattern on the
last and very light pass or two.

As far as smoothness of finish, that would depend on the grit paper you
are using.

The epoxy seems to sand well on a linishing belt. It doesn't clog up the
paper.

1/48"..... 0.5mm - that sounds fine as may only need to remove 1 - 2mm.

Do you know what the shortest piece is that you can feed through your
machine?

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Perry" wrote in message
[...]

Good point - I found the manual for one of the drum sanders and it gives
a minimum size of 3" long x 3/4" wide so it should be ok. Thanks.

Drum sanders are very handy and useful but it would be an expensive way to
accomplish your goal. Any reason you couldn't glue a piece of paper to the
bottom with water soulble glue, glue that to a piece of ply then mill it
with your milling machine. When done, soak the casting free of the paper and
carrier.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/2018 8:29 PM, Perry wrote:
On 20-Mar-18 4:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2018 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the
top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under
a milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of
these might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* sanding
drum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â* Â* /
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Direction of feed ==Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* 1" tall
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 6" long

Thanks guys.

So I actually have a drum sander similar to what you are referencing.

How does this particular Epoxy sand normally?

It is easy to heat the sand paper up on these type sanders if you try
to take off too much.Â* There is no give under the paper like most
sander have so it can be unforgiving if you try to take off too much.

When simply sanding hard woods I typically take off about 1/48" per
pass.Â* Once the paper is heated up and clogged it is toast in that spot.

AND it is best to feed the material at an angle so that the sandpaper
can cool.Â* You can feed straight to control the scratch pattern on the
last and very light pass or two.

As far as smoothness of finish, that would depend on the grit paper
you are using.

The epoxy seems to sand well on a linishing belt. It doesn't clog up the
paper.

1/48"..... 0.5mm - that sounds fine as may only need to remove 1 - 2mm.

Do you know what the shortest piece is that you can feed through your
machine?

IIRC 4~5". Again IIRC the length should be long enough that it is under
any of the 2 rollers or the sanding drum itself. Keep in mind that when
sending the work in at an angle that it effectively shortens the length
of the work that you are sanding.

thanks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20-Mar-18 4:49 AM, Leon wrote:
> [...]

It is easy to heat the sand paper up on these type sanders if you try
to take off too much.Â* There is no give under the paper like most
sander have so it can be unforgiving if you try to take off too much.

When simply sanding hard woods I typically take off about 1/48" per
pass.Â* Once the paper is heated up and clogged it is toast in that spot.

AND it is best to feed the material at an angle so that the sandpaper
can cool.Â* You can feed straight to control the scratch pattern on
the last and very light pass or two.

As far as smoothness of finish, that would depend on the grit paper
you are using.

The epoxy seems to sand well on a linishing belt. It doesn't clog up
the paper.

1/48"..... 0.5mm - that sounds fine as may only need to remove 1 - 2mm.

Do you know what the shortest piece is that you can feed through your

IIRC 4~5".Â* Again IIRC the length should be long enough that it is under
any of the 2 rollers or the sanding drum itself.Â* Keep in mind that when
sending the work in at an angle that it effectively shortens the length
of the work that you are sanding.

thanks.

Thanks Leon.
As a new visitor to this NG I've found it very helpful!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20-Mar-18 4:49 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/2018 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x
1 inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off
the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it
under a milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of
these might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â*
sanding drum
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* \Â* Â* /
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Direction of feed ==Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â*Â* 1" tall
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |
|Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â *Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 6" long

Thanks guys.

So I actually have a drum sander similar to what you are referencing.

How does this particular Epoxy sand normally?

It is easy to heat the sand paper up on these type sanders if you
try to take off too much.Â* There is no give under the paper like
most sander have so it can be unforgiving if you try to take off too
much.

When simply sanding hard woods I typically take off about 1/48" per
pass.Â* Once the paper is heated up and clogged it is toast in that
spot.

AND it is best to feed the material at an angle so that the
sandpaper can cool.Â* You can feed straight to control the scratch
pattern on the last and very light pass or two.

As far as smoothness of finish, that would depend on the grit paper
you are using.

The epoxy seems to sand well on a linishing belt. It doesn't clog up
the paper.

1/48"..... 0.5mm - that sounds fine as may only need to remove 1 - 2mm.

Do you know what the shortest piece is that you can feed through your
machine?

IIRC 4~5".Â* Again IIRC the length should be long enough that it is
under any of the 2 rollers or the sanding drum itself.Â* Keep in mind
that when sending the work in at an angle that it effectively shortens
the length of the work that you are sanding.

thanks.

Thanks Leon.
As a new visitor to this NG I've found it very helpful!

Think about the answers you get. ;~) Many of the answers are opinions
vs. valid answers. Contrary to popular belief, I am not a French model.

Every machine will be different and have different specs. I would
highly recommend contacting the manufacturer to verify critical
measurements. Machines change.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding drum
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

I've done 6" work pieces on my 16" drum sander free hand and 2" pieces
with a sled no problem.

If I was doing this for more than a few parts, I'd make a sled with a
3/4" plywood base and attach a raised frame from 3/4" x 1" wood in a "U"
shape (10" long sides, 2-1/8" wide internally, 1" deep). The piece would
sit in this sled and you would pass it under the drum with the open
frame end first. The long sides of the frame make first contact with the
pressure rollers and prevent snipe. The frame keeps the part from
sliding backwards.

Epoxy is generally like wood glue on drum belts, it has a tendency to
gum them up. I typically maintain my belts with a belt cleaning stick
and when they get fouled with glue or wood sap, I soak them in some
ammonia or "Simple Green" cleaner for a few hours then rinse. Good as
new! Epoxy "gumming" may/will be much more difficult to remove in
attempts to extend belt life.

For my sander, I like to use about 1/32" cut per pass with coarse belts
( less than 100 grit ) and then about 1/64 or slightly less for finer
grits up to 220. Beyond that is just too much for clean, burn free
passes. Of course epoxy will act differently and need some trial and
error with grit selection.

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24-Mar-18 10:21 PM, Brewster wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
> [...]

frame end first. The long sides of the frame make first contact with the
pressure rollers and prevent snipe. The frame keeps the part from
sliding backwards.

Epoxy is generally like wood glue on drum belts, it has a tendency to
gum them up. I typically maintain my belts with a belt cleaning stick
and when they get fouled with glue or wood sap, I soak them in some
ammonia or "Simple Green" cleaner for a few hours then rinse. Good as
new! Epoxy "gumming" may/will be much more difficult to remove in
attempts to extend belt life.

For my sander, I like to use about 1/32" cut per pass with coarse belts
( less than 100 grit ) and then about 1/64 or slightly less for finer
grits up to 220. Beyond that is just too much for clean, burn free
passes. Of course epoxy will act differently and need some trial and

Thanks Brewster. Some good information.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

Generally the best tool for sanding a 6" piece like this would be a belt
sander. The fence holds the work piece from flying off and a heck of a
lot cheaper than a drum sander.

Something like this:
https://tinyurl.com/y8od5rkm
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

And then you need a planer to make the surfaces parallel again.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

If you're not measuring with a micrometer, you can do a pretty good job
eyeballing it on the sander then checking with calipers.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

Absolutely, you could get close, maybe close enough that it would not
matter. But if the OP will be investing to buy a planer or drum sander
he may intend to surface more pieces than you would ever want to
eyeball. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

In 40+ years of using a sander like this I never once had to run
anything thru the planer after sanding. Either I have magic hands, or
you have lead hands, or you are sanding something for brain surgery.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

If he is in a production environment, he should call his tool provider
and ask them what's the best tool for what he wants to accomplish, not
asking a bunch of hobbyists and garage/basement dwellers that can spend
weeks arguing over the best way to drill a hole in your bench top for a
bench dog. They probably have a vacuum table for his milling machine, or
perhaps a nice CNC machine that will turn 100's or 1000's out every day.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

anything thru the planer after sanding.Â* Either I have magic hands, or
you have lead hands, or you are sanding something for brain surgery.

In 41 years of using a sander like this the opposite surfaces will not
be parallel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

matter.Â* But if the OP will be investing to buy a planer or drum sander
he may intend to surface more pieces than you would ever want to
eyeball.Â* ;~)

If he is in a production environment, he should call his tool provider
and ask them what's the best tool for what he wants to accomplish, not
asking a bunch of hobbyists and garage/basement dwellers that can spend
weeks arguing over the best way to drill a hole in your bench top for a
bench dog. They probably have a vacuum table for his milling machine, or
perhaps a nice CNC machine that will turn 100's or 1000's out every day.

Probably but there is a lot of difference between one offs and
production. He may fall in between those amounts.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

It's been oft said parallel lines meet at infinity as well...

At any rate, for most all wood work, the opposite surfaces will be
parallel _enough_, unless your hands are made of lead and out of
control, or your sanding something for use in brain surgery....

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

In junior high school wood shop we were required to square a block
with a hand plane before we could move on. No fancy machines needed,
they just make it quicker and easier. Doesn't really help with epoxy
though.

Regardless of any of this, for a 6x1x2 block, your typical benchtop
planer won't work--it won't feed something that small. Proxxon's
might if you can find one. However I'd want to see how it handled
epoxy and what the finish looked like before I spent for one--they
aren't cheap.

For a piece that small I think a drum sander of the kind shown is
overkill. If it's onesey-twosey then cleaning it up with a benchtop
belt sander should work fine. If it's mass production I'd look into
injection molding, where the shape of the piece is completely defined
by the mold and all that has to be cleaned up is a tiny bit of sprue
that if properly placed could be sheared.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

Give yourself a little more credit, man! :-p

When I was doing a lot of drum building and shell repairs, I often had
to correct shells on which the two bearing edges weren't parallel.
The bearing edges are the open ends of the drum shell (wood cylinder) on
which the drums heads sit. If they aren't parallel the drum can end up
producing some pretty ugly overtones. Add to that, the fact that the
bearing edges must be perpendicular to the sides of the shell. We call
it having "square edges." This must be achieved on repairs, newly built
shells, or shells that are being cut down for custom work.

Imagine trying to figure out a tool, jig, any kind of setup that will
produce that on a cylinder 10" to 24" wide by 5" to 20" deep. I'm not
sure there's a planer or surface sander that would handle it. :-)

After many experiments, I ended up doing the most simple thing. I
adhered sandpaper to my flat table, which was a piece of granite large
enough to hold a 22" bass drum shell.
Then I would set the shell down with the bearing edge sitting flat
against the sandpaper. I would just rotate the shell in an arc, either
spinning in a circle or back and forth, depending on what I needed to
correct.

I would check for square using a set-up table that had a registration
stick which was square to the table surface and had another sliding
piece on it to set as a height gauge. With the shell set on the table,
against the square, I could rotate the drum to see if the shell stayed
square against the stick. If there was light between them, at any
point, that told be where I needed to sand the bearing edge down to
correct it. Same thing with the height marker.

The most efficient way I found to do this was by hand on the sanding
table. I would just put a bit more pressure on my hands on the areas
that needed sanded down. I got very quick with this technique and I
produced dead-nuts-on results doing it.

Bigger drums shops use motorized sanding tables, but they are flipped up
90degrees, so you can hold the shell against it while standing next to
it. Better dust collection that way, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

By definition, NO. By humans using imperfect methods to maintain
parallel, YES.

At any rate, for most all wood work, the opposite surfaces will be
parallel _enough_,

Maybe for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

Give yourself a little more credit, man!Â* :-p

I know, I know... LOL. I was just indicating that years of doing
something does not mean you did it correctly.

If I was doing a few that would be OK. But doing it for 40 or 41 years,
you find a better way.

I mostly sand, on a disk sander, the curved fronts of my drawer pulls,
by eyeball.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of that as well. Since it is a molding, I'd want the
molding to require minimal sanding, less than 1/16" I'd think, but I'm
more of a garage dwelling wood worker so I'd use a belt sander like I
referenced for small quantities. Large production I'd want closer
tolerances in manufacture.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

+1
I normally don't give "+1"s because if I disagree with something said I
either say something or ignore it if I don't care, so +1 is seldom to
never necessary, but today, I gave you a +1 because I'd hate the
denizens of this rec to accuse me of being a disagreeable curmudgeon.

Also, and more important is I recall being adequately impressed (as an
experienced woodworker and ex professional drummer) with the drums you
made. Really nice work to be proud of.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/1/2018 4:07 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

Yes, for me, and probably most woodworkers on the planet, except maybe you.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/18 12:16 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

which the drums heads sit.Â* If they aren't parallel the drum can end up
producing some pretty ugly overtones.Â* Add to that, the fact that the
bearing edges must be perpendicular to the sides of the shell.Â* We call
it having "square edges."Â* This must be achieved on repairs, newly built
shells, or shells that are being cut down for custom work.

Imagine trying to figure out a tool, jig, any kind of setup that will
produce that on a cylinder 10" to 24" wide by 5" to 20" deep.Â* I'm not
sure there's a planer or surface sander that would handle it.Â* :-)

After many experiments, I ended up doing the most simple thing.Â* I
adhered sandpaper to my flat table, which was a piece of granite large
enough to hold a 22" bass drum shell.
Then I would set the shell down with the bearing edge sitting flat
against the sandpaper.Â* I would just rotate the shell in an arc, either
spinning in a circle or back and forth, depending on what I needed to
correct.

I would check for square using a set-up table that had a registration
stick which was square to the table surface and had another sliding
piece on it to set as a height gauge.Â* With the shell set on the table,
against the square, I could rotate the drum to see if the shell stayed
square against the stick.Â* If there was light between them, at any
point, that told be where I needed to sand the bearing edge down to
correct it.Â*Â* Same thing with the height marker.

The most efficient way I found to do this was by hand on the sanding
table.Â* I would just put a bit more pressure on my hands on the areas
that needed sanded down.Â* I got very quick with this technique and I
produced dead-nuts-on results doing it.

Bigger drums shops use motorized sanding tables, but they are flipped up
90degrees, so you can hold the shell against it while standing next to
it.Â* Better dust collection that way, too.

+1
I normally don't give "+1"s because if I disagree with something said I
either say something or ignore it if I don't care, so +1 is seldom to
never necessary, but today, I gave you a +1 because I'd hate the
denizens of this rec to accuse me of being a disagreeable curmudgeon.

LOL! Well, I'm pretty sure I've accused you of that at least a couple
times in the past.
So feel free to tuck this away and pull it out for any future occasion
in which I curmudgeonize you! :-)

Also, and more important is I recall being adequately impressed (as an
experienced woodworker and ex professional drummer) with the drums you
made.Â* Really nice work to be proud of.

Thanks, Jack. I appreciate that.
We all give each other plenty of $h!t in here, but I know even the worst
of offenders would likely get along great in person, over a beer or two.

I've personally met at least a few guys in here, as well as had some
video chats with some, including the late, great Robotoy (RIP). And in
every case, we all went away enjoying the company and liking each other.

I have no doubt, you would yield the same results.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, April 2, 2018 at 6:13:22 PM UTC-4, -MIKE- wrote:
On 4/2/18 12:16 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

They may have told *you* that they liked you, but that's not what they
are telling others.

How's that for giving some $h!t? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/2/18 12:16 PM, Jack wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
[...]

LOL! I was talking about me liking those sumbenches!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--