Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_84_] Steve[_84_] is offline

Default Gas consumption, CH versus no CH

On Sun, 1 Apr 2018 15:57:45 +0100
ARW wrote:

On 01/04/2018 12:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Whilst our boiler has been inoperative, we have had to make do with
just the living room radiant gas fire. With door closed, it is more
than warm enough on 1/3 of its 3 bars lit, but the rest of the
house is cold. Aside from the heating, the gas boiler provided for
all our main hot water needs too, washing up, cleaning and baths.
With an electric shower. The gas heater has been lit roughly for
the same amount of time as the boiler would be providing heating in
the place.

Cooking is via gas, so unaltered.

I log gas, electric and water consumption every week, on a Sunday.
The boiler failed mid- week, so this is the first full week with no
boiler. In the previous two full weeks with boiler in operation,
total gas consumption was £14 per week. In the this full week of no
boiler use consumption was £7 - so about half the cost if we put up
with one room heated, versus the whole house being comfortably
warm.

What were you expecting the gas costs to be? A serious question, I am
not taking the ****.

I would have expected it to be less than £7 of gas but last week we
had a couple of cold days and nights. Well South Yorks did and you
are not a million miles away.

On Thursday it was 1 deg C at 8am when I started work in the stables
and the conversation with the apprentice went along the lines of

Apprentice "What are we doing here?"

Me "Putting in power for the second coming"

Apprentice "OK"

End of conversation!!! That was it. He had absolutely no idea what I
was on about and left it at that.

What were your electric costs were for the same period compared to
the second?

Cheers

I had a call a few weeks ago where the customer said he'd been taking
meter readings and he was losing about £10 of electricity a day. He
thought it was something to do with his boiler as sometimes he had some
warm water coming out of the cold tap. Sounded like a sensible bloke,
even though what he was saying was a bit odd, so I went for a look.

Supply was nominally a TT (no sign of a rod) with an old Wylex
rewireable box. Clamp meter on + tail 10.5A, clamp meter on - tail
0.5A. Pulled the fuses an found the current was flowing in the ring. A
quick look around found a socket with a very hot screw - the live had
been nicked by the screw and was providing a nice 24 ohm earth path to
the incoming lead water main. An expensive way to heat the water in the
first few feet of lead pipe and lucky not to have had a fire.