Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

On Sunday, April 1, 2018 at 11:37:30 AM UTC-4, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:05:11 +0200, schrieb Libor 'Poutnik' StÅ™Ã*ľ:

Android applications and I suppose iOS ones as well
do not determine location on their own,
but ask the OS what the location is.

Hi Poutnik,

That's correct,

Are you sure that's correct for all apps, all cases? I can certainly
see it being the case when GPS is there, for example. Or for cell
triangulation methods. But is anyone sure that it extends to more
exotic methods, eg identifying where you are by the wifi spots that
are nearby?

I don't think that's necessarily the only correct answer
since an app can maintain its own database of whatever it wants to maintain
(e.g., some apps track in a tunnel where they use predictive algorithms).

Then you really mean that you're questioning what he posted, not agreeing with it, because he said all apps get the location from the OS.