Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred Ragnusen  Ultred is offline

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 09:18:53 +0100, schrieb Andy Burns:

iBeacons?

Thanks Andy Burns for being purposefully helpful in that you bring up
something that nobody mentioned which might be what the Google Map app uses
to determine location on a tablet that has no GPS and no cellular
capabilities.

I hadn't thought of iBeacons, so I looked them up.
http://www.ibeacon.com/what-is-ibeacon-a-guide-to-beacons/

The iBeacon method (mostly used for advertising purposes, it seems) uses
Bluetooth (low energy), which, we noted in our initial tests, didn't seem
to make a difference - but - they were only quick and preliminary tests of
bluetooth being turned on or off.

Also, the iBeacon standard doesn't include specific location information,
but it does allow each iBeacon to have a unique identifier.

Here is a description of the "typical" use model in that reference:
"The typical scenario looks like this. A consumer carrying a smartphone
walks into a store. Apps installed on a consumer's smartphone listen for
iBeacons. When an app hears an iBeacon, it communicates the relevant data
(UUID, Major, Minor, Tx) to its server, which then triggers an action. This
could be something as simple as a push message ["Welcome to Target! Check
out Doritos on Aisle 3!"], and could include other things like targeted
advertisements, special offers, and helpful reminders ["You're out of
Milk!"]. Other potential applications include mobile payments and shopper
analytics and implementation outside of retail, at airports, concert
venues, theme parks, and more. The potential is limitless."