Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,alt.cellular
Ragnusen Ultred Ragnusen  Ultred is offline

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

Am Sat, 31 Mar 2018 09:21:14 +0200 (GMT+02:00), schrieb Libor Striz:

Are the Google Maps for iOS as well ?? That is news to me, I would
consider it as "Apple heresy".

The Google Maps app was on iOS long before Apple Maps even existed.

As you noted, the iOS platform has far less map app functionality than does
the Android platform (free offline routing-capable topographic maps being
one which hits me hard since I hike a lot), in the case of *road* maps,
while there is still always going to be far less app functionality on the
iOS platform than on Android, the huge major players are the same (e.g.,
Google, CoPilot, Waze, Maps.me, Google Earth) but almost all the major and
minor free online and offline no-registration map players simply don't
exist on iOS - they exist only on Android.

I just guess, either iOS has equivalent location service,
either GM for iOS is compiled not to rely on such a service.

I would have thought the Google Maps on iOS uses the same techniquest that
it uses on Android, which is to utiltize whatever it can from GPS (which in
this case, doesn't exist), and BSSIDs (if the WiFi is turned on), and any
Internet-available geolocation information (which doesn't exist in this
case unless the tablet is connecting fleetingly to wide-open unsecured
access points), and, potentially, an offline BSSID:location lookup *inside*
of the map database itself.

I suspect that the Google Maps app *is* making use of an offline
BSSID:location lookup *inside* of the map database itself, but I don't know
how to prove that just yet, and nobody here has provided any references
that back up that assumption anyway.