Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

On 3/30/2018 11:06 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/30/2018 8:41 AM, Jack wrote:
On 3/25/2018 3:39 AM, Perry wrote:
On 24-Mar-18 10:21 PM, Brewster wrote:
On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the
casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it
under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

Generally the best tool for sanding a 6" piece like this would be a
belt sander. The fence holds the work piece from flying off and a heck
of a lot cheaper than a drum sander.

Something like this:
https://tinyurl.com/y8od5rkm

And then you need a planer to make the surfaces parallel again.

In 40+ years of using a sander like this I never once had to run
anything thru the planer after sanding. Either I have magic hands, or
you have lead hands, or you are sanding something for brain surgery.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com