Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on the road?

trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, March 30, 2018 at 11:34:53 AM UTC-4, nospam wrote:
In article , Paul
Colquhoun wrote:

| Recently, I noticed that, on a WiFi-only tablet, the Google Map App was
| "tracking" me while on the road, where the WiFi-only tablet definitely does
| not have a GPS chip nor does it have a cellular capability.
| http://i.cubeupload.com/jOw0fO.gif

That screen shot is from an iPad. Notice the little arrow up in the top
right corner, next to the 18% battery indicator? That means GPS is
active.

nope. it means an app is using location services to obtain the user's
location, which can be done without a hardware gps (and even if there
is a hardware gps, it's not always used).

I don't think Apple have ever made an iPad without a GPS chip.

they did and still do.

wifi-only ipads do not have gps or cellular.

So, the question remains. Assuming the OP is correct and he has a tablet
that does not have GPS or cell service, how is it showing him where he is
on maps while traveling?

Might be a built database of IP locations. I'm not sure if it can
distinguish movement away from set location.

Greg