Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair,alt.cellular
?B?TGlib3IgJ1BvdXRuaWsnIFN0xZnDrcW+?= ?B?TGlib3IgJ1BvdXRuaWsnIFN0xZnDrcW+?= is offline

Default How does a Wi-Fi only tablet route on Google Maps when on theroad?

Dne 31/03/2018 v 04:54 Ragnusen Ultred napsal(a):
Am Fri, 30 Mar 2018 22:56:27 +0100, schrieb Andy Burns:

You omit to say what O/S it is using.

I wasn't sure if it mattered which operating system the tablet is using
because I'm asking about Google Maps app location tracking without cellular
or GPS.

Android applications and I suppose iOS ones as well
do not determine location on their own,
but ask the OS what the location is.

So OS does matter, as how it is done is the OS business.

I have few strange questions:

Does it track you only within ranges of supposed Wifis ?

or

Does it even track you without any wifi in the range ?

In case of the former,

Does it track you only at known locations,
where the device has been before ?

Does it track you even at new locations
with wifis unknown to the device ?

It seems to me not probable
to have pre-downloaded all wifi location database.
Perhaps, it may predownload the data for nearby area only.

I would rather believe the tablet does not behave
in the way you suppose it to behave.

Sometimes a particular HW is present,
but not available for the user rather for business reasons,
being either deactivated or just not used.

It is cheaper to produce 1 version
and selectively disable optional features.
Or, selectively disable it just for user applications,
but not for the OS.

E.g. Xiaomi MI A1 does have the FM radio chip,
( one can listen the radio via the service menu )
but it is not mentioned in manual
and there is no builtin nor downloadable FM application
that would work.

--
Poutnik ( The Pilgrim, Der Wanderer )

A wise man guards words he says,