Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Steel tube

In article ,
newshound wrote:
On 30/03/2018 10:47, dennis@home wrote:
As a supplementary, I used an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc
in a
bench stand to cut the tube last time. OK, but not perfect.

I've got an old B&Q chop saw. No longer used as I have a very nice Makita
compound mitre sliding one. Would it be possible to find a mild steel
cutting blade for that? Being so much larger than the angle grinder
stand,
easier to set the tube lengths and clamp in place, etc.

Tungsten tipped blades cut mild steel with ease.
I have an evolution mitre saw (£25 second off ebay).
You need a fine toothed blade for something with thin walls.
Also be gentle.

I used it for alu 20x20 extrusions for a bit of 3d printer I was
modifying a few weeks ago and the result was perfect.

I have also used it to "plane" down metal after giving up with a file.

+1, I have an evolution chop saw, and it is fine for speedfit type tube,
also ordinary old fashioned dexion.

Do they run at a different speed from that likely with my B&Q one?

--
*Shin: a device for finding furniture in the dark *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.