Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sealant in lieu of PTFE tape

On Thursday, 29 March 2018 17:37:23 UTC+1, Charles F wrote:
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 29/03/2018 13:44, Bryan Mitchell wrote:
In view of my historic , and generally lost battles with PTFE tape, I am
now
contemplating the use of LS-X compound with my new radiator valves, and I
would value comment on this please.

What's your problem with PTFE tape? I always use tape intended for gas
connections - it's thicker and stronger than the standard stuff. Also,
when fitting radiator valve tails into new rads, I run a 1/2" BSP tap into
the hole first to make sure there are no rough bits on the thread.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Here's an "old and new" idea.....

My dad always used hemp and boss white on screwed joints, so I've modified
this a bit, and on awkward threaded joints (ie outside taps that inevitably
end up 30 degrees from where you wanted them) I use hemp and LSX. Jams
nicely where I want, no leaks (so far), and works well on rad tails too.

I've got enough hemp to last me 40 years at current limited rate of use, but
rather to my surprise found it's still readily available in hanks.

Just a thought.......

Charles F

FWIW you can also use cheap rope in lieu of hemp. It degrades due to UV, which isn't found inside plumbing joints, and lasts well in the dark. I can't remember which plastic it was, PP I think, id the rope & check its properties online. PE I would not use.

NT