Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair
Amethyst Amethyst is offline

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:23:12 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
said:

Not a USB, it connect into an HDMI port. I have one.

Short answer to OP is yes, there are some free channels of varying
degrees of value. Better channels need subscription or some cable tv
package, but like me no cable access here. Works on my slow DLS 3mbs.

Thank you for confirming there are "some" free channels, which is all that
I care about since the goal is free TV, where all this talk of commercials
isn't the point at all since you all have a completely different setup (eg
cable, which we don't have) and most of you likely have Netflix (which we
don't have and don't want to pay for).

It seems from the other discussions that the kids and I need HDMI "IN"
where the monitor to the desktop computer is the only device with HDMI
"IN".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4561584hdmi_1.jpg

The Sony Playstation 3 only has an unused HDMI "OUT".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

And the DVD player also has an unused HDMI "OUT".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3232054dvd_player.jpg

The desktop is connected to the router by WiFi and the playstation is
connected to the router by Ethernet.

The playstation then goes directly to the back of the TV, as does the DVD
player.

Given the monitor has multiple different connections, I can free up the
HDMI "IN" of the monitor by using a different cable out of the back of the
desktop tower.

That would free up the only HDMI "IN" that I have.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

So the only question remaining is whether the Roku streaming stick would
work connected to that HDMI "IN" of the desktop computer monitor.