Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?

Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8433834roku.jpg

We are very low tech where I'm asking if I can get free TV with the low
tech equipment that I have already at home.

I picked up two unopened Roku streaming sticks at a garage sale where the
husband who worked for Roku had left the ex wife where he had a few cases
of these things that the ex wife was selling for a buck each but she didn't
know what they're good for - and neither do I.

The gray box is a Roku 3810R and the green one is a Roku 3800R.

Googling, everyone seems to already know what they do, where I can tell
from the hits that they connect your TV to the Internet over your router so
that you can use Netflix and stuff.

But we are really low tech so my question is how much free stuff can this
Roku thing give me? All the articles assume you have Netflix, and they even
assume you have cable, and they assume you have a TV, none of which I have.

I don't have a TV antenna to get over the air broadcast TV, and even if I
did, I'm remote so I'd likely get one station or two at best.

THere is no cable service. Just electricity. Nothing else by way of
services.

I'm on WISP. About 5 Mbps down and up.
The router is an old WNDR Netgear N with the USB port unused.

The kids have a PS3 connected to an old Sony TV.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6286595sony_model.jpg

The Sony TV is too old for HDMI.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7549633sony_cables.jpg

I know the Sony TV can do Netflix over the net through the PS3 which is
wired to the router because we had a friend stay for a few days and her
account worked where the kids set that up, but we don't have Netflix
account.

We have Windows 10, one of which has an HDTV monitor.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4561584hdmi_1.jpg

So that one kid's desktop is the only HDMI connection in the house.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

In our low-tech situation, with only my kid having an HDMI monitor, which
nobody shows on the net, can the Roku streaming stick be used to get free
TV stations?
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 6:56 PM, Amethyst wrote:
[...]

Best I know is that a Roku device only makes a dumb TV into a smart TV
and only free TV available is what is on the internet like this stuff:

ttps://www.killthecablebill.com/tv-channels/

But you say you do not even have a TV.
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 5:56 PM, Amethyst wrote:
[...]

Â* The short answer is yes . That stick is meant to plug into the USB
port on a TV set , but it MIGHT work in the USB port of your son's
computer . You'll find the free stuff on roku is riddled with some very
annoying commercials , if you can tolerate them thren go for it .
Otherwise , netflix can be as cheap as around 10 bucks , CBS all access
is around the same . Prime is OK , but a bit more expensive at 14 a
month - but you get free shipping and a ton of commercial-free
programming .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 6:58:03 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

I pay $6.47/month for Amazon Prime under their special program for low/fixed income customers. I used to take a newspaper or paperback novel to the toilet with me (not for toilet paper) to keep me amused but now I take my 7" Amazon Fire tablet and watch videos. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Tablet Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster wrote:

Â* The short answer is yes . That stick is meant to plug into the USB
port on a TV set , but it MIGHT work in the USB port of your son's
computer . You'll find the free stuff on roku is riddled with some very
annoying commercials , if you can tolerate them thren go for it .

I think YouTube is the single best part of Roku. YouTube stopped
being supported directly by the smart-app in my Samsung TV, and
Roku allowed me to skip passed that in a very positive way. I got
my Roku device for free with a 2-month subscription to Sling
(TV). I still see that advertised, good luck! HTH!

Bill

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 6:56 PM, Amethyst wrote:
TV

Does your TV have a USB port?

I'm on WISP. About 5 Mbps down and up.
The router is an old WNDR Netgear N with the USB port unused.

I am a novice to smart TV, but from what I have read 5 Mbps is about the
minimum for low resolution moves, but that would probably be acceptable
for TV shows.

I know the Sony TV can do Netflix over the net through the PS3 which is
wired to the router because we had a friend stay for a few days and her
account worked where the kids set that up, but we don't have Netflix
account.

If you can get Netflix through the play station, you may be able to
access the net and get to the several free, or nominal cost sites.

I don't know about your area but I have found there are quite a lot of
material available on the local Public TV website.

As for Broadcast TV, you may wish to check this site:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

This will give you an idea of the station available in your area. Many
broadcast TV station have one primary and several secondary channels. I
consider them point channels as the are 5.0, 5.2; 17.1, 17.2, 17.3,
17.4; etc. In my area there are five primary channel, and with the
secondary channel there are a total of about 16 channels to choose from.

You may also consider and amplified antenna. Use the information from
the above site to determine the amplification you need for your area.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 21:17:39 -0400, Keith Nuttle
said:

Does your TV have a USB port?

No. The router has a USB port.
The Playstation 3 has USB ports.
The Windows 10 desktop computer has USB ports.

The TV is just these ports which are not USB or HDMI.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7549633sony_cables.jpg

The TV is just connected to the PlayStation 3 and DVD player.

The only device with HDMI is the one desktop computer and monitor.

I'm on WISP. About 5 Mbps down and up.
The router is an old WNDR Netgear N with the USB port unused.

I am a novice to smart TV, but from what I have read 5 Mbps is about the
minimum for low resolution moves, but that would probably be acceptable
for TV shows.

We had a friend over who used her Netflix account somehow on the
PlayStation 3 to play to the Sony TV where the Playstation 3 is connected
to the router by wire, so the TV has Internet only that way (through the
PS3).

The TV is a very old model.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6286595sony_model.jpg

The Internet comes in to the WISP modem and then goes to the router and
then goes to the PS3 and then to the TV.

If you can get Netflix through the play station, you may be able to
access the net and get to the several free, or nominal cost sites.

That is the kind of advice I was hoping to get!
It didn't even occur to me that the PS3 had HDMI!

I just looked, and the PS3 does have an unused HDMI port!
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

I don't know about your area but I have found there are quite a lot of
material available on the local Public TV website.

I was hoping that the Roku "came with" some free channels.
We don't have any right now, so anything is better than nothing.

As for Broadcast TV, you may wish to check this site:
https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
This will give you an idea of the station available in your area. Many
broadcast TV station have one primary and several secondary channels. I
consider them point channels as the are 5.0, 5.2; 17.1, 17.2, 17.3,
17.4; etc. In my area there are five primary channel, and with the
secondary channel there are a total of about 16 channels to choose from.

You may also consider and amplified antenna. Use the information from
the above site to determine the amplification you need for your area.

We don't really need TV, so we don't want to go the "broadcast" TV method
which will require an antenna from the roof to the bottom floor which is
just too much work, really, for crummy channels.

What you told me that I didn't know is that the PS3 has that unused HDMI
port!

Can the Roku be connected to that PS3?
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 01:40:20 +0000 (UTC), Amethyst
said:

What you told me that I didn't know is that the PS3 has that unused HDMI
port!

I just noticed that the monitor is HDMI *IN*
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

While the PS3 is HDMI *OUT*.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

Does the direction matter for my purpose if I want to put the Roku
streaming stick into the PS3 to get the TV to be on the Roku Internet?
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

said:

If you can get Netflix through the play station, you may be able to
access the net and get to the several free, or nominal cost sites.

Several? :-) See below.

I was hoping that the Roku "came with" some free channels.
We don't have any right now, so anything is better than nothing.

As of a year go, there were reportedly 4500+ Roku channels, including
both free and non-free channels. Those are only the Roku-approved
channels available through the Roku Channel Store, however. If you
include the private channels, there's about 2000 more. All of the
thousands of free channels "come with" any Roku purchase.

I'd recommend that you start by visiting the Roku site:
https://www.roku.com/how-it-works

I have 3 Roku devices in the house and love them. At least half a dozen
folks that I know of have purchased their own after playing with mine.

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

said:

What you told me that I didn't know is that the PS3 has that unused HDMI
port!

I just noticed that the monitor is HDMI *IN*
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

While the PS3 is HDMI *OUT*.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

Does the direction matter for my purpose if I want to put the Roku
streaming stick into the PS3 to get the TV to be on the Roku Internet?

Yes, the direction matters. Perhaps the monitor has an additional HDMI
input? You could connect the Roku there.

Alternatively, you can use a device that has 2 or more HDMI inputs and a
single HDMI output. It's sort of like a KVM, but for HDMI video/audio
instead of keyboard & mouse. I use this one, available online for about
$10 or at Walmart for just under $15.

https://www.rakuten.com/shop/sf-plan...duct/HD1831-03
Fosmon 3 Port HDMI Switch/Switcher 3 x 1 Auto Switch 3-In 1-Out with
Pigtail Cable

You'd connect the PS3 and the Roku to inputs, and the single output goes
to your monitor.

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* The short answer is yes . That stick is meant to plug into the USB
port on a TV set

Not a USB, it connect into an HDMI port. I have one.

Short answer to OP is yes, there are some free channels of varying
degrees of value. Better channels need subscription or some cable tv
package, but like me no cable access here. Works on my slow DLS 3mbs.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

said:

What you told me that I didn't know is that the PS3 has that unused HDMI
port!

I just noticed that the monitor is HDMI *IN*
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

While the PS3 is HDMI *OUT*.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

Does the direction matter for my purpose if I want to put the Roku
streaming stick into the PS3 to get the TV to be on the Roku Internet?

To convert HDMI to YPrPb for the back of the TV, should
have been easy.

However, one of the reasons that the digital standards
exist for monitor cabling, is so DRM can be applied to them.

The Roku claims HDMI 2.0a and likely comes with some
2 series HDCP content protection as well. Generally
content protection is applied to 1920x1080 @ 60p.
(I can't provide a cite as to what regulation might
or might not define "pirate ready" interface limits.)
A resolution below 1920x1080, like 1280x720, might not
need protection. The Roku may be programmable,
or perhaps an HDMI adapter can "reflect back" the user
choice of resolution back to the Roku stick so
it does the right thing.

Now, the description of this seems unbelievable. It actually
claims to work with HDMI, and produces Component out.
It claims to support HDCP. I thought this was an "illegal"
combination, but what do I know.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIABMK5CW5947

Support HDCP1.2, support analogue video output up to UXGA and 1080P with 10-bit DAC.

HDMI video input format: 480i/576i/480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080P
YPbPr video output format: 480i/576i/480p/576p/720p/1080i/1080P

So the first statement "UXGA (1600×1200)", means
it doesn't actually output pixel for pixel. It's
probably down-sizing a bit, to stay below the 1920
analog limit. Which is perfectly fine. For example,
if it reduced the resolution of the output to 1280x720
(which is 720p), you'd probably still be pleased with
the picture on the TV set.

You *might* be able to use it with the TV set, like this.
But because these products live in the "crap zone" of
DRM, we have no control over what happens at all... So
be warned, the money may not be well spent. This is how
you get to the TV set with the Roku HDMI version. (An
older Roku had YPbPr, but that version would also have
old firmware and not stream smoothly.)

Router
Wifi
\ HDMI YPbPr
+ ROKU ---------- Converter --------- TV (YPrPb+Laudio+Raudio)
| | 5 coax cables w. connectors
| 5V @ 1A | 5V
| |
USB power Barrel power
wall adapter wall adapter

The converter is not likely to come with the five coax cables
needed to connect to the TV set.

YPbPr cable with RCA/Cinch on the ends.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA6U636U8127

You'd also need an LAudio/RAudio with RCA/Cinch
on the ends for the audio connection, for a total
of five coax.

The cables seem to come in thin and thick coax types,
and since you really only need a minimal length of
cable, the thin stuff is probably fine.

HTH,
Paul
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

"Amethyst" wrote in message
news
[...]

The roku sticks you have can ONLY be connected to a viewing device that has
an HDMI in port. For your TV with the RCA ports, you need Roku Express
3910RW or an older version of same.
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

No Roku will let you view off the air TV stations via your TV in a normal
manner..

No Roku "comes with" channels. One must access their channel store - either
via the Roku device or internet - and create an account. You can then
select whatever channels you want to add to the device; that will install
the bit of code necessary on the device for that particular channel.
Channels can be added or deleted at any time, the limit being only the
capacity of the Roku device. I have no idea what that capacity is, most we
have ever had is 30-40 of which we actually watch 6-8.

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them.. The better channels such as
Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.

You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 27/03/2018 13:08, dadiOH wrote:
"Amethyst" wrote in message
news
[...]

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in
the UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 22:56:54 +0000 (UTC), Amethyst
wrote:

Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8433834roku.jpg
We are very low tech where I'm asking if I can get free TV with the low
tech equipment that I have already at home.

snips

When you get all your hardware figured out -
try looking for "Free Trial" deals, before subscribing.
I recently tried a free 30-day NetFlix offer - just to see
what it's all about and cancelled after about 3 weeks.
I found that I'm not their target audience. After enjoying
about 8 comedy specials ; 8 music shows ; 5 movies
and 5 documetary shows ... I would search the huge
selection of available content and not find anything that
suited my tastes ..
John T.

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

"Bod" wrote in message

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them.. The better channels such
as
Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.

You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in the
UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

All the networks, over the air TV, are fueled by ads but a more tolerable
quantity. When one receives them via a cable type service, those services
add even more. IOW, all suck.

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 27/03/2018 13:58, dadiOH wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them.. The better channels such
as
Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.

You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in the
UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

All the networks, over the air TV, are fueled by ads but a more tolerable
quantity. When one receives them via a cable type service, those services
add even more. IOW, all suck.

I see....and thanks.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 7:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Terry-

Perhaps your Roku stick is made to plug into a USB port or fits a USB
port, but my Roku stick fits into and requires a HDMI port on a TV. The
two plug/socket configurations may look very similar, but they have
different dimensions and wiring. The OP will require an HDMI port to
use the Roku stick.
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 2018-03-27 08:16, Bod wrote:
[...]
I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in
the UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

Yes, even Public Broadcasting, but they place their ads between
programs. OTOH, three or four times a year they put on specials
interrupted by begging spiels. They need the extra money from viewers.

I don't know about pay per view, never watch 'em.

Righto.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them.. The better channels such
as Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.
You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in the
UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

All the networks, over the air TV, are fueled by ads but a more tolerable
quantity. When one receives them via a cable type service, those services
add even more. IOW, all suck.

Public television can be a refuge from commercials -
- depending on your viewing tastes.
I like ours in Ontario TVO.
In the USA, PBS is sometimes worthwhile .
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:16:12 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 27/03/2018 13:08, dadiOH wrote:
"Amethyst" wrote in message
news
[...]

Depends on your definition of intolerable. US TV channels mostly have
commercials every 15 mins that last several minutes. Somebody has to
pay for it you know. Some special programs may go longer commerical
fee when they are paid for by one big sponsors, but that is rare.
How does the model in the UK work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27/03/2018 14:51, wrote:

[...]

We watch PBS occasionally here in the UK.
They have the odd good documentary (for our taste).

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27/03/2018 15:11, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 8:16:12 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 27/03/2018 13:08, dadiOH wrote:
"Amethyst" wrote in message
news Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?
[...]

The UK commercial channels in the UK also have ads about every 15 mins
as well, but we Mostly record them and wind the ads on when playing back.
The channels in the US that I saw had ads about every 8 minutes. I can't
remember what channels they were though.
The BBC licence fee is £150 per year and has 5 channels (including the
news channel), but well worth it for not having to watch any ads.

We also pay for SKY which has a few hundred channels, but all commercial.
For that we personally pay £62 per month, but that includes the Sports
channels.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

For the original poster, when his hardware is working -
- or anyone who can stream TV from the internet -
check out the documentaries here :
https://tvo.org/
Lots of great viewing in my opinion.
Sometimes the content is only available for a limited time
... a few weeks or so.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amethyst" wrote in message
[...]

an HDMI in port.Â* For your TV with the RCA ports, you need Roku Express
3910RW or an older version of same.
https://www.roku.com/products/compare

No Roku will let you view off the air TV stations via your TV in a
normal
manner..

No Roku "comes with" channels.Â* One must access their channel store
- either
via the Roku device or internet - and create an account.Â* You can then
select whatever channels you want to add to the device; that will
install
the bit of code necessary on the device for that particular channel.
Channels can be added or deleted at any time, the limit being only the
capacity of the Roku device. I have no idea what that capacity is,
most we
have ever had is 30-40 of which we actually watch 6-8.

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of
ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them..Â* The better channels
such as
Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.

You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in
the UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

--
Bod

Depends on your definition of intolerable.Â* US TV channels mostly have
commercials every 15 mins that last several minutes.Â* Somebody has to
pay for it you know.Â* Some special programs may go longer commerical
fee when they are paid for by one big sponsors, but that is rare.
How does the model in the UK work?

The UK commercial channels in the UK also have ads about every 15 mins
as well, but we Mostly record them and wind the ads on when playing back.
The channels in the US that I saw had ads about every 8 minutes. I can't
remember what channels they were though.
The BBC licence fee is £150 per year and has 5 channels (including the
news channel), but well worth it for not having to watch any ads.

We also pay for SKY which has a few hundred channels, but all commercial.
For that we personally pay £62 per month, but that includes the Sports
channels.

Out of curiosity, do any tv broadcasters in the US transmit 4K programs?

--
Bod

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/26/2018 9:40 PM, Amethyst wrote:

We don't really need TV, so we don't want to go the "broadcast" TV method
which will require an antenna from the roof to the bottom floor which is
just too much work, really, for crummy channels.

Get one of the indoor type that is very small, usually a box
about 10" square, and 1 inch thick. They are usually under 30 bucks
at a Walmart (type) store. If it doesn't acquire you any channels,
return it.

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2018 8:19 AM, Peter wrote:
[...]

* I don't have a Roku stick ... the picture looked like a USB plug and
you're right , they do look a lot alike . We have 2 Roku's , both plug
in with an HDMI cable . Sounds like the OP needs to buy a new TV ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2018 11:41 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

That's my opinion. Its been about 2 years since I bought a 30 inch
Samsung smart TV for only $239. I've got bigger none smart sets but
this one considered small was for a spot in my den.

Also think I would opt for higher download speed which may be needed for
streaming.

Also wanted to mention when it comes to Netflix you can put it on all of
your devices which means that the devices do not even need to be in your
house. Restriction is that you can not have more than two or three
viewers at once. One of my friends here had a son living out of state
that offered him access to his account at no cost to him. I like a lot
of the Netflix series and they might put on 10-12 one hour shows per
season but when the next season comes out they put out the whole series
so you can binge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:17:01 AM UTC-4, 83LowRider wrote:
On 3/26/2018 9:40 PM, Amethyst wrote:

We don't really need TV, so we don't want to go the "broadcast" TV method
which will require an antenna from the roof to the bottom floor which is
just too much work, really, for crummy channels.

Get one of the indoor type that is very small, usually a box
about 10" square, and 1 inch thick. They are usually under 30 bucks
at a Walmart (type) store. If it doesn't acquire you any channels,
return it.

The OP said he's in a remote location, so good luck with that.
He can go to antennaweb.org, put in his location and it will tell
him what OTA is receivable and what kind of antenna he needs.
I'm only 40 miles from NYC, it's basically flat terrain and reception
with one of those indoor antennas is pretty poor. NBC came in OK,
CBS marginal, ABC, Fox and the rest not at all. And that was with
good weather.
antennas is poor. When
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,alt.support.depression

On 28/03/18 01:43, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:
I gots yer Roku streamin' stick hangin', ass-a-hole.
LOL

From what I have read, the thing to do is to get a VPN account. "Free"
videos are pirated, and the end user needs to hide. But instead of
paying for the movie, you end up paying for the VPN. Honesty is cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Amethyst" wrote in message
[...]

No. There is some limited 4K content available at some of the online
content providers, eg Netflix, but no broadcast yet, AFAIK. I read
something recently about the new transmitters being put into service
at the new WTC and that they are 4K capable, but I have no idea
when it's coming.
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Also think I would opt for higher download speed which may be needed for
streaming.

Nothing prevents an ISP from throttling Netflix,
even if you buy Gigabit service. That's the beauty of
net neutrality or the lack thereof.

This is one reason that people cannot see Netflix in HD,
because the connection to Netflix is throttled, no matter
what grade of service you thought that you'd bought.

The ISP could have been cut out of the picture, by the
usage of a VPN to "hide" the traffic, except Netflix has
anti-VPN provisions to prevent people from other
countries from subscribing to US Netflix service
(by using a US billing address).

Netflix has a lot of nuances. One size bandaid doesn't fit all.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

We don't really need TV, so we don't want to go the "broadcast" TV method
which will require an antenna from the roof to the bottom floor which is
just too much work, really, for crummy channels.

Get one of the indoor type that is very small, usually a box
about 10" square, and 1 inch thick. They are usually under 30 bucks
at a Walmart (type) store. If it doesn't acquire you any channels,
return it.

make your own ...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...64&cat=3,43597

John T.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 3:41:25 PM UTC-4, Paul wrote:
Frank wrote:

Also think I would opt for higher download speed which may be needed for
streaming.

Nothing prevents an ISP from throttling Netflix,
even if you buy Gigabit service. That's the beauty of
net neutrality or the lack thereof.

Some ISP *might* throttle Netflix. But the OP is on wifi where he has only
5 mbits total. I think you're far more likely to see a problem there
with any streaming content,
as opposed to folks on cable with 100 mbits+. Especially if someone
else in the house is using the link for other purposes at the same time

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:41:24 -0400, Paul said:

Netflix has a lot of nuances. One size bandaid doesn't fit all.

I just want to say that all the articles assume you'll pay for Netflix,
which isn't the question here.

I don't want to pay for anything since I think it's foolish to pay for what
you can get for free, if you can get it for free.

That's why I asked what comes with the Roku sticks. It seems, from the
answers, "stuff" comes for free, so that's good.

Now all I need is to figure out if the Roku can plug into the HDMI "IN" of
the monitor (with a Y adapter) or if the Roku can plug into the HDMI "OUT"
of the Sony Playstation 3.

If the Roku can plug into the HDMO "OUT" of the Sony PS3, that would be
perfect because the Sony PS3 already has cables that go into the old but
rather large (48 inch?) Sony TV (maybe through the DVD player?).

Come to think of it, I didn't look at the back of the DVD player yet.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3232054dvd_player.jpg

The DVD player also has an HDMI "OUT" that I ask if I can plug the Roku
stick into?

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Mar 2018 23:23:12 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
said:

Not a USB, it connect into an HDMI port. I have one.

Short answer to OP is yes, there are some free channels of varying
degrees of value. Better channels need subscription or some cable tv
package, but like me no cable access here. Works on my slow DLS 3mbs.

Thank you for confirming there are "some" free channels, which is all that
I care about since the goal is free TV, where all this talk of commercials
isn't the point at all since you all have a completely different setup (eg
cable, which we don't have) and most of you likely have Netflix (which we
don't have and don't want to pay for).

It seems from the other discussions that the kids and I need HDMI "IN"
where the monitor to the desktop computer is the only device with HDMI
"IN".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4561584hdmi_1.jpg

The Sony Playstation 3 only has an unused HDMI "OUT".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6417873ps3.jpg

And the DVD player also has an unused HDMI "OUT".
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3232054dvd_player.jpg

The desktop is connected to the router by WiFi and the playstation is
connected to the router by Ethernet.

The playstation then goes directly to the back of the TV, as does the DVD
player.

Given the monitor has multiple different connections, I can free up the
HDMI "IN" of the monitor by using a different cable out of the back of the
desktop tower.

That would free up the only HDMI "IN" that I have.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

So the only question remaining is whether the Roku streaming stick would
work connected to that HDMI "IN" of the desktop computer monitor.
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On 3/27/2018 4:00 PM, Amethyst wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 15:41:24 -0400, Paul said:

Netflix has a lot of nuances. One size bandaid doesn't fit all.

I just want to say that all the articles assume you'll pay for Netflix,
which isn't the question here.

I don't want to pay for anything since I think it's foolish to pay for what
you can get for free, if you can get it for free.

Â* If I could get OTA TV for free ... but i live over a hundred miles
from the nearest "big" city , and down in The Hollr . No reception at all .

That's why I asked what comes with the Roku sticks. It seems, from the
answers, "stuff" comes for free, so that's good.

Now all I need is to figure out if the Roku can plug into the HDMI "IN" of
the monitor (with a Y adapter) or if the Roku can plug into the HDMI "OUT"
of the Sony Playstation 3.

If the Roku can plug into the HDMO "OUT" of the Sony PS3, that would be
perfect because the Sony PS3 already has cables that go into the old but
rather large (48 inch?) Sony TV (maybe through the DVD player?).

Come to think of it, I didn't look at the back of the DVD player yet.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3232054dvd_player.jpg

The DVD player also has an HDMI "OUT" that I ask if I can plug the Roku
stick into?

Â* You'll find that those outputs are just that - outputs only . The
input on the monitor should work though .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Mar 2018 16:31:25 -0500, Terry Coombs said:

* If I could get OTA TV for free ... but i live over a hundred miles
from the nearest "big" city , and down in The Hollr . No reception at all .

I am in a situation much like yours where it should be obvious that if we
don't even have cable service, we won't have over-the-air TV service
either, which is because we are remote and that's how we like things to be.

We are WISP for Internet and telephone and that's all we have other than
electricity from the power company. The water, and septic are not services
which are provided to us. Only garbage pickup happens once every two weeks
by truck and that's it for services pretty much.

The goal here is just to see if these Roku sticks can be made to work,
where the only HDMI "INPUT" we have is the computer monitor, which we can
free up if we use a different cable out the back of the desktop tower to
the computer monitor.

* You'll find that those outputs are just that - outputs only . The
input on the monitor should work though .

Thank you for confirming that the Playstation 3 and DVD player HDMI ports
are not going to be useful since they're both outputs.

That leaves the only HDMI input being the computer monitor.

For those who have a Roku streaming stick, do you concur that the sticks
should work in the computer monitor HDMI input? The computer is a modern
Windows computer desktop.
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Amethyst wrote:
That leaves the only HDMI input being the computer monitor.
For those who have a Roku streaming stick, do you concur that the sticks
should work in the computer monitor HDMI input? The computer is a modern
Windows computer desktop.

Yes it will work the HDMI port is a INPUT. Just as you can use a TV's
HDMI port for a computer monitor.

To confirm I dug out the ol' Roku 2 DX and connected to and old monitor
that only has DVI but I used a DVI-HTMI adapter. Works just fine.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?CAVEAT

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Amethyst wrote:
That leaves the only HDMI input being the computer monitor.
For those who have a Roku streaming stick, do you concur that the sticks
should work in the computer monitor HDMI input? The computer is a modern
Windows computer desktop.

Yes it will work the HDMI port is a INPUT. Just as you can use a TV's
HDMI port for a computer monitor.

To confirm I dug out the ol' Roku 2 DX and connected to and old monitor
that only has DVI but I used a DVI-HTMI adapter. Works just fine.

NOTE: The monitor would have to have builtin speakers else you will have
no sound!!!

Much easier just to pickup a Wallymart special TV. You can easily pick
up a small one for $100

--
Take care,

Jonathan