Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?

On 3/27/2018 8:19 AM, Peter wrote:
On 3/26/2018 7:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 3/26/2018 5:56 PM, Amethyst wrote:
Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=8433834roku.jpg

We are very low tech where I'm asking if I can get free TV with the
low tech equipment that I have already at home.

I picked up two unopened Roku streaming sticks at a garage sale
where the husband who worked for Roku had left the ex wife where he
had a few cases of these things that the ex wife was selling for a
buck each but she didn't know what they're good for - and neither
do I.

The gray box is a Roku 3810R and the green one is a Roku 3800R.

Googling, everyone seems to already know what they do, where I can
tell from the hits that they connect your TV to the Internet over
your router so that you can use Netflix and stuff.

But we are really low tech so my question is how much free stuff
can this Roku thing give me? All the articles assume you have
Netflix, and they even assume you have cable, and they assume you
have a TV, none of which I have.

I don't have a TV antenna to get over the air broadcast TV, and
even if I did, I'm remote so I'd likely get one station or two at
best.

THere is no cable service. Just electricity. Nothing else by way
of services.

I'm on WISP. About 5 Mbps down and up. The router is an old WNDR
Netgear N with the USB port unused.

The kids have a PS3 connected to an old Sony TV.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=6286595sony_model.jpg

The Sony TV is too old for HDMI.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=7549633sony_cables.jpg

I know the Sony TV can do Netflix over the net through the PS3
which is wired to the router because we had a friend stay for a few
days and her account worked where the kids set that up, but we
don't have Netflix account.

We have Windows 10, one of which has an HDTV monitor.
http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=4561584hdmi_1.jpg

So that one kid's desktop is the only HDMI connection in the
house. http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=1354901hdmi_2.jpg

In our low-tech situation, with only my kid having an HDMI monitor,
which nobody shows on the net, can the Roku streaming stick be used
to get free TV stations?

The short answer is yes . That stick is meant to plug into the USB
port on a TV set , but it MIGHT work in the USB port of your son's
computer . You'll find the free stuff on roku is riddled with some
very annoying commercials , if you can tolerate them thren go for it
. Otherwise , netflix can be as cheap as around 10 bucks , CBS all
access is around the same . Prime is OK , but a bit more expensive at
14 a month - but you get free shipping and a ton of commercial-free
programming .

Terry-

Perhaps your Roku stick is made to plug into a USB port or fits a USB
port, but my Roku stick fits into and requires a HDMI port on a TV.*
The two plug/socket configurations may look very similar, but they
have different dimensions and wiring.* The OP will require an HDMI
port to use the Roku stick.

* I don't have a Roku stick ... the picture looked like a USB plug and
you're right , they do look a lot alike . We have 2 Roku's , both plug
in with an HDMI cable . Sounds like the OP needs to buy a new TV ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on