Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?

There are many free channels, most all will pump out a deluge of ads; one
needs a high threshold of pain to watch them.. The better channels such
as Netfliix, Amazon, et al all require a small monthy fee.
You can browse the channel store here...
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse

(Butting in, apologies)

I watched some TV whilst I was in the States and I found the amount of
adverts intolerable, especially as I mostly watch the BBC channels in the
UK which are all ad free here.
I found it so annoying that I stopped watching.
Are all US tv channels like that?

All the networks, over the air TV, are fueled by ads but a more tolerable
quantity. When one receives them via a cable type service, those services
add even more. IOW, all suck.

Public television can be a refuge from commercials -
- depending on your viewing tastes.
I like ours in Ontario TVO.
In the USA, PBS is sometimes worthwhile .
John T.

We watch PBS occasionally here in the UK.
They have the odd good documentary (for our taste).

For the original poster, when his hardware is working -
- or anyone who can stream TV from the internet -
check out the documentaries here :
https://tvo.org/
Lots of great viewing in my opinion.
Sometimes the content is only available for a limited time
... a few weeks or so.
John T.