Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default Can a Roku streaming stick be used to get free TV stations?

On 3/26/2018 6:56 PM, Amethyst wrote:
TV

Does your TV have a USB port?

I'm on WISP. About 5 Mbps down and up.
The router is an old WNDR Netgear N with the USB port unused.

I am a novice to smart TV, but from what I have read 5 Mbps is about the
minimum for low resolution moves, but that would probably be acceptable
for TV shows.

I know the Sony TV can do Netflix over the net through the PS3 which is
wired to the router because we had a friend stay for a few days and her
account worked where the kids set that up, but we don't have Netflix
account.

If you can get Netflix through the play station, you may be able to
access the net and get to the several free, or nominal cost sites.

I don't know about your area but I have found there are quite a lot of
material available on the local Public TV website.

As for Broadcast TV, you may wish to check this site:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

This will give you an idea of the station available in your area. Many
broadcast TV station have one primary and several secondary channels. I
consider them point channels as the are 5.0, 5.2; 17.1, 17.2, 17.3,
17.4; etc. In my area there are five primary channel, and with the
secondary channel there are a total of about 16 channels to choose from.

You may also consider and amplified antenna. Use the information from
the above site to determine the amplification you need for your area.

--
2018: The year we learn to play the great game of Euchre