Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soldering iron flex

On Sunday, 25 March 2018 22:38:36 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 13:00:18 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 25 March 2018 16:44:35 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 08:26:02 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 25 March 2018 15:38:46 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 25 March 2018 13:53:55 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

But the idea of saving pennies to use a less flexible flex which can
also be damaged by heat is ludicrous.

Oh - the more something get used, the more chance of damage to it.
Simple probability. And someone who only has a 25 watt mains soldering
iron simply doesn't do much in the way of electronics work. Or is a
total fool.

You don't have much wordly experience do you.

I've seen lots and lots of pro workshops. Which repair electronics. And
all have used low voltage temperature controlled soldering stations.

I've not seen the workshop end of many repair places. But some of them certainly do use much more basic equipment. The 'nicer' places use thermostatic, the more ramshackle places often don't.

Any establishment would hopefully have equipment suited for the task,
never confuse "nicer" with more professional.

Even a copper lump & coal fire can do the task. I don't think you'd believe what equipment I once did repairs with.

When needs must :-)

And of course there are those who would sit waiting for B&Q to open:-(

I went on from consumer electronics to the MOD, where no expense was
spared. The main factor regarding success and quality of work was the
personnel.

Apart from anything else, with a low volt temperature controlled iron,
both the bits and elements will last longer. An important thing when
earning money from repairs. Anyone who doesn't know this is an amateur.

That's just funny. It's probably fair to say that ignorance re soldering iron tips is common.

One of those minor incidentals that are totally forgotten, until you
are down to the last couple of irons and end up drilling the corroded
bit, half the aluminium holder and some of the element too in an
attempt to change the seized bit.

A quick file of the tip is mostly the answer. It's quicker, and fwliw cheaper. A lot of people are horrified by that, thinking the precious iron plating is vital - it's not. It just slows corrosion.

I would disagree on this point, my experience was that it was better
to treat the tip gently. Soggy sponge and that tin of resiny mild
abrasive that was sold for the purpose.

that's what you do before it needs filing. I always found wet denim preferable to cellulose sponge.

When the first pit showed, the
file came out and stayed out. Oxidation was exponential at that point.

increased certainly, not exponential.

The irons were on all day every day though.

Why do I waste my time on usenet.

It's not a waste of time, it , like Brexit can be a source of
amusement, and I do have a lot to thank this NG for.

UK.d-i-y has a wealth of experience and a considerable number of
willing advisors.

Granted there are one or two total *******, but most contributors
provide sound valuable advice and it would be a boring NG if there was
only one standard answer.

Wikipedia would render the NG virtually useless if that were the case.

it would if it could work out what the one answer is.

It has a lot of answers but little experience.

Be thankful, at least the group has advice and individuals

AB

I've learnt lots here. I've also learnt stuff by not taking advice here. But some of the discussions do get quite pointless. I can only blame myself for continuing to discuss those ones.

Correct, that's why threads tail off and die I suppose.

I have used usenet since the time I connected with a modem of a few
hundred baud, it is a superb medium. I think all those sensitive souls
on Facebook and Twitter should spend time on it, before jumping off
cliffs because someone on social media has done a zit count and deemed
them a pariah.

I remember using 300 baud. I don't think I'd heard of usenet then though

NT