Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default TOT household rubbish

On 24/03/2018 12:10, soup wrote:
On 24/03/2018 10:59, Andrew wrote:
On 23/03/2018 13:46, Steve Walker wrote:
On 23/03/2018 10:45, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

The recycling bin goes out every two weeks

At the moment we get weekly collections of both wheelie bins (I
choose to put them out less frequently) but I gather the collections
are due to alternate between recycling and rubbish later this year
... might bother larger households.

If it is anything like where we are, they'll have a system to cope
with larger housholds.

Our normal system is:

Green bin, 240l - food waste (plus garden waste if you pay an extra
£40 a year) - collected weekly.

Grey bin, 120l - non-recyclable waste - collected fortnightly.

Blue bin, 240l - carboard and paper - collected monthly.

Black bin, 240l - plastic bottles, tins, cans and glass bottles -
collected monthly.

Leading to the green bin, plus one other, being collected every week.

For households with 5 or more residents, a 240l grey bin can be
requested instead of the 120l one. Additional blue and black bins can
also be requested.

What sort of people discard 240 litres of food waste every week ?.

No idea, but SteveW was talking about a 240l grey bin,I.E
non recyclable (landfill)

Grey NOT green

I'm afraid that means nothing.

In Horsham, Green is normal landfill rubbish
Brown is garden waste
Blue is mixed recycling.

We have no separate collections for food waste or electricals,
the council assume people are going to somehow travel to the
various Viridor sites and deposit their old fm radio or
hair curlers in the correct skip - if only.