Posted to rec.woodworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default how can I remove very old masking tape and residue from antique wooden box?

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 20:23:20 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 19:59:54 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

Try Goo Gone. Wipe a little bit in an inconspicuous place just to
make sure but it's safe with most finishes.

One good use for WD40 too
just soak it and let it sit. After a couple days of soaking the tape
will generally just about slide off.