Posted to rec.woodworking
JBI JBI is offline

Default how can I remove very old masking tape and residue from antiquewooden box?

I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 19:59:54 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

Try Goo Gone. Wipe a little bit in an inconspicuous place just to
make sure but it's safe with most finishes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 20:23:20 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 19:59:54 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

Try Goo Gone. Wipe a little bit in an inconspicuous place just to
make sure but it's safe with most finishes.

One good use for WD40 too
just soak it and let it sit. After a couple days of soaking the tape
will generally just about slide off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 7:59:57 PM UTC-4, JBI wrote:
I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

Test some lighter fluid in an inconspicuous place. Ronsonol cigarette light fluid, not barbecue
lighter fluid.

Soaks through the paper and leaves no residue.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 4:59:57 PM UTC-7, JBI wrote:
I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid ...

There have been a lot of different masking tapes since 1940.
Solvents that won't harm the wood-box finish include waterless
hand cleaner, and maybe (odorless) paint thinner, but NOT alcohol (it
would take off shellac). Anything brittle can be carefully scraped,
a razor scraper might be useful, just control the edge so
it does't dig into the wood.

Boiled linseed oil is a safe way to cover any dull spots, and a little
french polishing can make an old finish new again.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 19:59:54 -0400, JBI wrote:

I have a 1940's wooden box with nice finish that was used to store a
scientific instrument. The problem is that someone kept taping over the
lid to keep the box closed while in storage. As a consequence, there
are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box surface in
various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the tape and residue
and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

Try Goo Gone. Wipe a little bit in an inconspicuous place just to
make sure but it's safe with most finishes.

One good use for WD40 too
just soak it and let it sit. After a couple days of soaking the tape
will generally just about slide off.

Couple days!?
Clare, I've found that most goo removers do it in a few minutes.

Perhaps you need to be a little less patient with WD-40 next time.
I bet it works a lot faster than you think.

FWIW for anyone lurking, many cooking oils and sprays will do the trick
as well as goo-gone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

GooGone damagess some finishes, and you can scratch dried tape off
with wd40 pretty quickly - but if it is soaked real well the tape
slides of - no damage to the shelac or laquer finish.

I likely left it a lot longer than required - but it worked.
Posted to rec.woodworking

JBI wrote:

there are about 7 pieces of masking tape across the lid to box
surface in various stages of decay. Is there any way I remove the
tape and residue and keep the finish and wood intact? Thank you.

how will you keep it closed without the tape

the tape lends it character

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would start with olive oil if the antique is of real value (financial or sentimental).

masking tape on laminate worktop Tim Smith UK diy 21 January 8th 18 09:16 PM
Masking Tape Removal? Mat Home Repair 3 September 30th 05 09:28 AM
Remove Masking Tape from Window Peter Home Repair 0 August 21st 05 07:06 AM
Remove masking tape from window Peter Home Repair 9 August 18th 05 04:58 PM
Masking tape and silicone PhilÅ UK diy 14 January 20th 05 09:25 AM