Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

On 3/19/18 5:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of
finish might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

It would be fed in with the shortest dimension (1") vertical.

/ \
/ \
| | sanding drum
\ /
\ /
| |
| |
| Direction of feed == | 1" tall
| |
| |

6" long

Thanks guys.

I've done 6" work pieces on my 16" drum sander free hand and 2" pieces
with a sled no problem.

If I was doing this for more than a few parts, I'd make a sled with a
3/4" plywood base and attach a raised frame from 3/4" x 1" wood in a "U"
shape (10" long sides, 2-1/8" wide internally, 1" deep). The piece would
sit in this sled and you would pass it under the drum with the open
frame end first. The long sides of the frame make first contact with the
pressure rollers and prevent snipe. The frame keeps the part from
sliding backwards.

Epoxy is generally like wood glue on drum belts, it has a tendency to
gum them up. I typically maintain my belts with a belt cleaning stick
and when they get fouled with glue or wood sap, I soak them in some
ammonia or "Simple Green" cleaner for a few hours then rinse. Good as
new! Epoxy "gumming" may/will be much more difficult to remove in
attempts to extend belt life.

For my sander, I like to use about 1/32" cut per pass with coarse belts
( less than 100 grit ) and then about 1/64 or slightly less for finer
grits up to 220. Beyond that is just too much for clean, burn free
passes. Of course epoxy will act differently and need some trial and
error with grit selection.

-BR