Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default DIY expenses and balance sheet for a Will

On 23/03/2018 09:23, newshound wrote:
On 23/03/2018 09:10, ss wrote:
Maybe doesnt sit properly in this newsgroup but it is DIY.
Does anyone on here have experience of accounts with reference to
finalising a balance sheet for a Will, specifically to do with expenses.

I've done two simple uncontentious ones, and I used Excel. I was joint
executor with my brother's solicitor for a slightly more complicated one
which involved trusts for minors. In that case, the solicitor did the
main accounts although he was happy for me to do all the leg-work, and
once the trusts were set up he stood down to be replaced by another
family member to minimise the costs to the estate.

But the only expenses that I "claimed" were things which I actually paid
out, like death certificates and house insurance. You need to be more
explicit and would probably be better posting in uk.legal.moderated.

The Will is basic with no issues and I have done a balance sheet on
excel and I have detailed all funeral expenses. I am just unsure how I
get my personal expenses logged on it.

Example.
value of estate £19000
Less funeral costs etc of £4000
Balance of estate £15000
= (x 3 beneficeries) £5000 each

One of the beneficeries is also executor who has £120 of expenses.

My thinking is (if correct) if I include the £120 as part of the funeral
costs/expenses then Ithe executor is in effect paying a third of their
own expenses when the net balance is split 3 ways.

Any thoughts on where or how this expense is deducted from the balance
sheet.