Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Ford F-150 questions

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 20:26:44 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Mar 2018 00:05:25 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 19:26:58 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 20:47:28 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 20:45:50 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:59:37 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 19:50:30 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 15:08:29 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 16:14:39 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 09:47:02 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 12:04:16 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 03:56:12 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 21:20:50 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:03:16 -0700, L

As a side note....I got the opportunity to work on this 2 weeks ago.
Had to pull the left spingle and hub, then remove the steering
knuckle, get some welding done, then reassemble.

It was interesting how the hub was assembled...no manual...sigh. It
certainly wasnt a system Id ever seen before. And of course..the wheel
bearings were ball bearings..not rollers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3RAsOMLLVWPQMFYE3

Nice old Bug.
Prewar Itallian engineering.
Designed to be light and stroing - and FAST.

No seat belts either.

They arent cheap.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...5/1893334.html

---

For a T35 GP 2.6 mil IS cheap.

It was a rather fascinating car to work on. The engine was made in
Argentina as this had been a restoration project from a carcass.

Seems that Argentina is one of the classic car restoration capitals of
the world for cars of this type. They made molds and patterns for
every car that had ever been fixed/modified and restored..so you can
order parts made on the original tooling, to the original blueprints
and formed on patterns identical with factory patterns. They are
considered "original" parts..albeit NOS....with a heart stopping
price.

The carburetor on these cars..protrudes from the BOTTOM of the engine
well and the bowl is lower than the bottom of the engine.

Yup - the carb is on the bottom of the "blower"

It has
manual lubrication in addition to engine driven lubers. If you go
into a turn and the oil sloshes away from the oil pump...there is a
manual pump on the dash that you can operate to give it more oil.

The pics are in high defintioni so feel free to find the icon and blow
up the photos and look at the bits and pieces

Gunner

If you ever get a chance to tour the Big Dog Garage, you'll see
several Bugatti race cars from the '20s and early '30s. Jay Leno has
some beauties, as well as a couple of road-going Bugattis.

The engines look like they were made in a machine shop. I had to wipe
my drool off before I left. d8-)

A machine shop?? More like a jewelry shop.

The guy I was helping went to Leno's garage last week and made a
cardboard mockup of the removable cover for the carberator. Its
supposed to be accessable with the bonnet closed. He cut and fit to
match both of Leno's 35Bs and brought it back to his shop to see if it
will fit his clients car. Last time I talked to him, he was busy
brazing a new cover together so he could install it.

Too bad you couldn't have gone with him. I'd love to meet Jay and see
his shop city.

Likewize.

He owns (and has said it is one of his favorite cars) a green and
white Dodge Coronet Sierra wagon. His is a 1954, and has wire wheels -
while mine was a '53 (virtually identical except the '54 side trim is
higher than the '53)) with standard steel wheels.
SWEET 241 Hemi.

Sure wish I had mine back!!!

My favorite Dodge was my grandmother's '69 Monaco with the 383 4bbl,
which would definitely git'n'****. The paint was a lovely metallic OD
green, and that boat would pull eighteen skiers!
https://www.allpar.com/photos/vimage...onaco-1969.jpg

Well, I had a 170 leaning tower of power putting 206hp to the rear
wheels in a 63 Valiant, a couple of warmed 225 Darts, the 241 Hemi
Coronet, a 264.5 flatty in the 57 Fargo ,a mitso****ty 2.6 in a
Lebaron and a 3.0 Mitso****ty 6 in the New Yorker, as well as the 2.4
PT Cruiser.

Dad had numerous little flatties, '36, 47, 49, 50 and 51 - a 56 and
58 V8, a honking 413 New Yorker, and a 360 Polara as well as a few 225
slant six trucks.

Kid brother had souped up 225 in his valiant (split manifold and a
bunch of other mods - I never saw it run because it was while I was in
Zambia but it had a reputation for being FAST) and a warmed over 318
in a satelite that gave 340 road runners a good run.

The New Yorker 413 would pass anything but a gas station.