Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipework to shower

In article 2,
DerbyBorn writes:

I think I may abandon the check valves and just get some full bore service
valves.
Some of the comression fittings look a bit crusty - it isn't easy to keep
an eye on it hence I would like to put new stuff in the line.

Full bore valves seize up unless they get operated.

To some degree, that applies to all stop cocks - I don't think there
is one you can install and not touch for 25 years, and expect to still
work, but full bore valves seize up particularly quickly when not
operated.

When I moved in to my current place which was about 10 years old, the
service valves in the airing cupboard were all gate valves. Not one
of them still worked. I replaced them all with full bore lever valves,
but I make a point of operating them all 2-3 times a year, and they've
been OK for 15 years now. In another place, I installed a couple under
the floor in case I ever needed to isolate part of the heating system,
but 5 years later, they had seized solid as there had been no use or
even access to them.

--
Andrew Gabriel