Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Pipework to shower

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article 6,
DerbyBorn writes:
I really want to replace it all - one end compression is a bit crusty as
well. I don't want to leave a legacy of bodge! I want to cut a lenght out
and fit new valves with new pipe in between.

Are double check valves essential?

They are required if there's any risk of feeding back into water
supply. For a shower, that means if the hose is long enough and
positioned such that the shower head can be under water in a bath
and thus syphon water back into the mains. Wouldn't apply to a
shower tray with no waste plug.

Do you not need to run the shower hose through a ring at the bottom of
the rail to stop it reaching the ground if you are not mounting the
shower over a bath, then? I found it difficult to interpret "could"
enter the water in the regs, whether you have to allow for a blocked
waste.

It would also apply if the hot water comes from a storage tank and
the cold water from the mains.
Some shower valves include them anyway (typically those with
separate temperature and flow knobs, where the flow knob is on the
mixer outlet, and those with hot/cold differential pressure
compensation for use with multipoints and combis).

Essential? Depends what you regard as essential. They can
significantly impede the flow if the pressure isn't very high.

--

Roger Hayter