Posted to rec.woodworking
Perry Perry is offline

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

On 20-Mar-18 7:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 11:09:12 AM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:
-MIKE- writes:
On 3/19/18 6:06 AM, Perry wrote:
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1
inch tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

Can you grip it securely with you hands?
If so you could stick sandpaper to a flat work surface, then flip it
over and run the top over the sandpaper. Two or three sheets of paper
or a long strip from a roll would be best.

I'd be tempted to make a fitted Sabot to hold it in a vise.

Is a "fitted Sabot" a fancy way of saying "a jig with slope sides"? ;-)

I could use one of the molds to fashion something like this. The sloped
sides complicate things. I'm thinking a vacuum pump and some slots in
the bottom of the mold might work.