Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Advice on drum sander usage.

On 3/19/2018 8:20 AM, dadiOH wrote:
"Perry" wrote in message
I'm not a wood worker so bear with me......

I've got a cast epoxy widget about 6 inches long x 2 inches wide x 1 inch
tall.

It's cast in a mold and has a sharp edge around the top from the casting
process. I want to remove this and shave maybe 1/16" off the top.

The sides are sloped so I cant grip it in a vice and machine it under a
milling machine.

I came across drum sanders and wondered if something like one of these
might work?

https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L110

https://www.carbatec.com.au/sanding-and-finishing/sanding-machines-and-accessories/drum-sanders/sander-wide-drum-400mm-old-code-wds-400-wds-4080p

If I was to feed the 6" x 2" x 1" epoxy piece through what sort of finish
might I expect and would it be likely to kick the piece around?

Yes, a drum sander could do the job assuming your piece has the minimum
length necessary - as specified by the manufacturer - to keep the pressure
rollers properly in contact. It won't get kicked around but don't try to
skinny it down in one pass. The finish depends upon the grit of the
abrasive used.

Drum sanders are very handy and useful but it would be an expensive way to
accomplish your goal. Any reason you couldn't glue a piece of paper to the
bottom with water soulble glue, glue that to a piece of ply then mill it
with your milling machine. When done, soak the casting free of the paper and
carrier.

Or build a vacum table and hold it in place while milling. With edge
clamps, stops

--
Jeff