Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 22:59:02 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

On 03/17/2018 08:04 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
You didn't address my question as to why "you get what you get" when a foundation
is poured in a remote area. Why is it so common that the foundation sucks?

Is it that the good comtractors would charge too much to make the trip, so you have to
settle for Larry, Darryl and Darryl?

If it's a cost saving matter, has your pro figured out whether he actually saves anything
after spending extra time working around the results of saving that upfront cost?

I don't actually know, as I am not there. My suspicion is that there is
not a good supply of contractors that can do it right. You're stuck with
whatever is available ... but that's a guess.

Some questions which nobody has asked which I believe have bearing.

1) You say "large". How large is large? Are we talking a 4000
square foot house or are we talking an airship hangar? Do you have
the approximate dimensions?
2) The foundation isn't level. How far out of level is it?
3) Is it flat and just down at one end or is it out of flat as well
and if so how much?

With regard to the question of how you cut to varying lengths with a
chopsaw, I have no idea, but can tell you how to do it with a radial
arm saw. Two ways. For either you need to make or buy shims or
obtain some precision incremental positioner such as an Incra jig.

One is to cut all the studs to a little over the longest length, being
as exact as you can, then set the saw up with a stop that will result
in trimming the exact amount you need to get to the _shortest_ length.
then for the next one put one shim so a little less is cut off,, for
the next one two shims, etc. The advantage of this approach is that
one person can do it fairly easily, the disadvantage is that you have
to cut each stud twice and have twice as many chances to screw up..

The other way is a similar approach but you put the shims at the other
end, so you make a jig that holds the stud to the _longest_ length
required, then cut one, put in a shim and cut the second one, put in
two shims and cut the third, and so on. The disadvantage of the
second approach is that you really need two people to be able to do it
efficiently, the advantage is that you only cut once.

If this is a very long wall you end up with a lot of shims to juggle
as well with either approach.

If you can get by with increments of 1mm or 1/32 inch the original
Incra jig can replace the shims for about 60 bucks at the cost of
having to be more careful with the adjusting--it's easy to move it one
notch too far and not catch it.