Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 3/17/18 4:25 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:17:59 -0500, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

On 03/17/2018 10:34 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Knock 'em down and start over.

That's a nice theory but the real world does not operate that way.

In this case, the location is very remote and you get what you
get.

No, when the world gives you lemons, make lemonade. Takes abit of
work, but NO EXCUSE for not starting witha levelled foundation.

Cut it, shim it - do whatever is necessary - but build FROM A SQUARE
FOUNDATION.

My suggestion was an easy way to deal with it.
But your comment gave me another idea.

You could run a tight string line or laser, level, from the highest
point of the foundation wall to a clamped stick at the low end.
You take a pressure treated sill plate and embed it in mortar on the
sloping foundation wall. You just keep tapping down until it's straight
and level. Let the mortar cure and then insert anchors down into the
foundation wall. The anchors could already be there or be installed
prior to setting the sill plate in mortar.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--