Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 3/17/18 1:35 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
On 03/17/2018 10:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/17/18 9:19 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have a use case where I want to build a wall on new
construction. Inevitably, the foundation pours are not perfectly
level. Over long runs, they can be off several inches. So, I
want to build the wall to the sill plate with studs of different
lengths to account for this so that the top of the wall *is*
level. Because of the long horizontal runs involved, I want to
keep the accuracy of the cuts to 1/16 or even 1/32 (to avoid
accumulation error).

Ideas?

SNIP

Now you can mark a level line across all those studs, using
whatever method is at your disposal. A laser level, a water level,
whatever. All you need is two marks at the correct cut
height/length, one at each end of the wall, then you can strike
chalk line. If you have a good laser level, you can mark each stud
individually. Once you're happy that you have each stud marked,
you drop the wall back down and cut the studs at the marks with a
circ saw, fasten a top plate, as normal, and raise the wall back up
into position.

This is a great approach for the occasional builder but - I fear -
far too slow for a professional framer for whom time is money (which
is why he brought this to my attention in the first place). In this
particular instance, the framer specializes in building large
structures in very remote areas. You get what you get in the way of
sill plates being level and you have to adjust accordingly ... and
rapidly when you're framing hundreds linear feet of wall per project
and thousands per year.

If he's a professional framer, then he's already thought of my suggestion.
It shouldn't take two framing carpenters any longer to do what I
described than it took me to type it. :-) Seriously.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--