Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Daneliuk[_3_] Tim Daneliuk[_3_] is offline

Default Building Square Walls On New Construction Sill Plates

On 03/17/2018 10:39 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 3/17/18 9:19 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

I have a use case where I want to build a wall on new construction. Inevitably, the foundation pours are not perfectly level.Â* Over long runs, they can be off several inches.Â* So, I want to build the wall to the sill plate with studs of different lengths to account for
this so that the top of the wall *is* level.Â* Because of the long
horizontal runs involved, I want to keep the accuracy of the cuts to
1/16 or even 1/32 (to avoid accumulation error).

Ideas?

SNIP

Now you can mark a level line across all those studs, using whatever
method is at your disposal.Â* A laser level, a water level, whatever.
All you need is two marks at the correct cut height/length, one at each
end of the wall, then you can strike chalk line.Â* If you have a good
laser level, you can mark each stud individually.Â* Once you're happy
that you have each stud marked, you drop the wall back down and cut the
studs at the marks with a circ saw, fasten a top plate, as normal, and
raise the wall back up into position.

This is a great approach for the occasional builder but - I fear - far
too slow for a professional framer for whom time is money (which is
why he brought this to my attention in the first place). In this
particular instance, the framer specializes in building large structures
in very remote areas. You get what you get in the way of sill plates
being level and you have to adjust accordingly ... and rapidly when
you're framing hundreds linear feet of wall per project and thousands
per year.